Thread: A few question about MediaCache Addon

Default A few question about MediaCache Addon

Hello Guys,

I would need answers form you guys:

1-Does this addon bring performance if the "source" files (= origin not cached) are on the same nas storage (=MediaCacheStores path) than the cached one ?

2-Does this addon is able to check if the request vod file exists in cache path and if not go to check on "source" files path ?

Thx by advance for your answers.

Best,

Romain.
    Last edited by barichon; 12-12-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Hi,

1-Does this addon bring performance if the "source" files (= origin not cached) are on the same nas storage (=MediaCacheStores path) than the cached one ?
    The MediaCacheStores path should be on the local filesystem so that access is as quick as possible. It shouldn't be on any sort of network storage where the network would cause a bottleneck. To answer your question, using it this way would not bring any improvement over accessing the content directly from the nas storage.

2-Does this addon is able to check if the request vod file exists in cache path and if not go to check on "source" files path ?
    Yes it does. When the file is requested, if it does not exist in the cache then it is initially fetched directly from the source. Space is reserved in the cache for the entire file and the file chunks are written to the cache as they are requested.
    Subsequent requests for the file will check if the requested chunk is already cached and if not will get it from the source, cache it and forward it to the player. After a period of no access to the file, it is removed from the cache to make room for other files.

If the cache is full then requests for new files will bypass the cache and go directly to the source. You can adjust how long files will remain in the cache before they are removed.

Thanks for that

My aim so will to cloud source (a main nas on an external pop).

So, I will go like that:

Local pops request will look for cached element on local nas, if not exists then will look for it on cloud source
    I will then maybe add local proxies to local pop in order to cache requests of cached elements (and maybe add some proxy cibling).

Very good job wowza 3.x really reached a high skill !

thx guys !