Thread: Wowza Media Server 3 and Windows Media services

Default Wowza Media Server 3 and Windows Media services

After searching through the forums a bit I can't quite find an answer to my question. I would like to install Wowza Media Server 3 on a windows 2008 server alongside Windows Media Services (not IIS media services). Are there any possibilies for conflict here? Has anyone done this successfully? What ports does Wowza use besides tcp1935?

Thanks

Barry Bernard

Barry,

I don't think there is any port conflict with that combo

Richard

Okay thanks, I will give it a shot and see how it goes.

For future reference, I am only having one problem with this combo so far. If I am attempting Quicktime streaming, the Quicktime player client's "automatic" transport setting seems to default to using UDP port 554. This I believe is conflicting with Windows Media services, the video is blotchy looking and the audio has dropouts. Specifying HTTP transort in the client clears things up right away. This does not happen on the Windows 7 machine I made my original test on, most likely because it is not running Windows Media services. It would be impractical to try to get everyone who accesses the stream over Quicktime to adjust their transport settings to accomodate the server. I am leaning towards dropping Quicktime streaming in favor of flash anyhow. (Apple has removed the Quicktime streaming component from Lion server! I guess they're not that into it anymore)

Yes, Flash is better for general streaming to the desktop. Quicktime is good for other things.

Richard