Thread: loadbalancing cluster- stream lags/disconnects when 800-900 connection per server.

Default loadbalancing cluster- stream lags/disconnects when 800-900 connection per server.

I am using a loadbalancing cluster with one origin and 10 edge servers. All servers have 8 core Intel Xeon processors and 8 GB RAM(only one edge server with 4 cores). The servers are configured with Java virtual memory size of 5 GB or 3GB. Each server has a 1 Gbps internet connection and the streams are 350 Kbps. So I think each server can handle atleast 2000 live streams. So the entire cluster is supposed to handle 20K connections(the loadbalancer server is the liverepeater-origin server and not participating in client connections).

Now my problem is, when the no of connections reaches 800-900 per server, (that is totally 8000-9000), the streams become lagging and losts the smooth playback capability. And sometimes the entire connections are disconnected and reaches 2-3 connetions per server. Does anybody have any idea what is causing this problem ?

PS: I have hotlink protection enabled on the edge servers. and the origin server is restricted to only the edge servers.

Thanks in advance.

Check if your servers don't be Capping... is very common... you can use some network tool like iftop or iptraf to see if your servers really can handle 1gbps

We had the exact same problem, we just disabled all GC and seem to fixed the problem.