Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: record via flash, play via html5?

Default record via flash, play via html5?

Is there a way to use Wowza for recording from Flash web plugin, and playing out to html5 on various browsers (via h.264, I'm not worried about theora)?

Playback will be on-demand, not live (though for review purposes, availability should be immediate after record).

While it is possible configure the latest flash versions to record in H.264 rather than the usual SorensenSpark video codec, the audio portion will still be in NellyMoser. I don't think any browsers can support NellyMoser. As far as I know, HTML5 playback only works in Safari/iOS with H.264 and AAC at this time. So you would have to transcode/convert your recorded streams to get them to play in anything other than Flash.

Oh wow, I didn't realize fp11 allows h.264 encoding... cool!

For the audio, would it be possible/fast-enough to have wowza do the transcoding and splice the new aac audio in? Assume I'm limiting clips to 30 seconds...

If so, where would be the best place to implement this?

Or- as another option, it is possible to transcode actionscript-side via something like https://github.com/kikko/Shine-MP3-E...on-AS3-Alchemy ...

Maybe it can be spliced together client-side and then just sent over... will investigate

As it is, Wowza will record streams published by Flash, and the recordings will play in Flash clients. For other devices you have to transcode to a format they support.

The Wowza Transcoder is for transcoding a live stream into multibitrate renditions available for thousands of viewers. For static content you should use an "offline" transcoder.
    '
    Last edited by randall; 12-27-2011 at 04:50 AM.

Wow, Richard, that is so close to what I need it's ridiculous!

Any way of making it work for recording, for future playback (vod) instead of live streaming?

I think that could really bring Wowza even closer to any source<-> any destination

There are many tools out there for transcoding such as ffmpeg, vlc, mp4box, mencoder... Some of them are quite complicated. You'll have to dig in to the documentation and support forums for those products. I've had success with the following vlc command using VLC 1.1.11 64-bit on Windows 7 to convert flash recordings from the standard SparkSorensen/NellyMoser to H.264/AAC:

vlc -I dummy -vvv videorecording.flv --sout "#transcode{venc=x264{keyint=60,profile=baseline,level=3.0,nocabac},vcodec=x264,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,c hannels=2,samplerate=48000}:standard{mux=mp4,dst=output.mp4,access=file}"

That should keep the original video size/bitrate and record good quality 128kbps audio.

Yes, but the idea is to have it automated so that many simultaneous clients can simply connect with their webcam, record the video, and have it immediately available for playback on both iOS (via Safari) and Desktop (via flash player)

BTW, randall, I do appreciate your suggestion...

Assuming that there isn't a way to (quickly/easily) make wowza itself do the transcoding for vod, can you suggest where, serverside, I could plug-in the call to ffmpeg/vlc so that it will handle the transcoding, and then report back a success/fail message to the client?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast