Thread: nDVR Live Repeater with SMIL

Default nDVR Live Repeater with SMIL

Hi,
    I have configured nDVR with live repeater. My origin server records the stream and creates the smil files. I have managed to play the recordings directly from the edge server but when I try to play the recording through smil file on the edge server it doesnt. I looked at the logs on the edge server and saw that it is looking for the smil file in its content dir.

Does this mean I would need the smil file on the edge server too? or is there a way to have the smil file only on origin server and somehow access it from edge server.

You do need the smil on the edge server, in the content folder for that application.

Richard

I thought so. The reason I asked is because this seems like a general problem and there might be some standard solution. The following is my situation.

I have an origin server on which live streams gets recorded. I have a httpprovider which I use to control what gets recorded, when and for how long. This httpprovider also creates the smil files on the origin. I dont want my users accessing the origin to stream the recording that I have made (this will ensure a constant load on my origin server) so I am planning to load balanced edge servers to which my users will connect. I am planning to do this on AWS.

Now I have a problem how do I get the smil files to the edge servers. I was thinking of using auto scaling on AWS which will create load balanced edge servers dynamically. Any suggestion on how solve this problem?

I am currently using rsync in cron task on the edge servers to get the smil files from the origin.

There isn't an built-in way to do this in Wowza.

There is a way to generate a smil from the output of Wowza transcoder, which I don't think you are using, but in any case still requires you to get a copy of of the smil to each edge.

On Wowza EC2, which I don't think you are using either, you can use Startup Packages that include the smil to start an instance.

Richard