Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: ndvr questions

  1. #1

    Default ndvr questions

    Hi All,

    I have a few questions regarding the nDVR Add-On.

    1. Is there a method of clearing the previously recorded material while the stream is running and being recorded?
    For example at some point in time I want to delete all the previously recorded video. But I want to do it without interrupting the ongoing recording process.
    What would be the best way of achieving this?

    2. For the first question: It would be sufficient for me to increment the "version" of the recorded data as well and then deleting the old directory all together after a new version is created; but I believe "incrementing the version" is not controllable via an API. And it requires that the stream is restarted, right? Therefore it will be interrupting the recording process.

    3. Does the "WindowDuration" property controls the duration of the window according to the "real time" or the "total duration of the recorded material"?
    In other words, if I set WindowDuration to 24 hours and then play (and record) the stream only 1 hour per day (say between 14:00 and 15:00), is it going to delete the recorded video for the previous day each day or only start deleting in 24 days?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erbora00 View Post
    Hi All,

    I have a few questions regarding the nDVR Add-On.

    1. Is there a method of clearing the previously recorded material while the stream is running and being recorded?
    For example at some point in time I want to delete all the previously recorded video. But I want to do it without interrupting the ongoing recording process.
    What would be the best way of achieving this?

    2. For the first question: It would be sufficient for me to increment the "version" of the recorded data as well and then deleting the old directory all together after a new version is created; but I believe "incrementing the version" is not controllable via an API. And it requires that the stream is restarted, right? Therefore it will be interrupting the recording process.

    You can use "delete" mode, which will delete the old recording of a given app/stream when the new recording starts.

    Correct, incrementing the version is not accessible by API. However, I think delete mode may be what you want.

    If you need finer grain control over starting and stopping the recording, you can use API to start and stop the recording, which would create new versions of the recording. See here : Wowza nDVR Recording API

    Scott

    Quote Originally Posted by erbora00 View Post
    Hi All,


    3. Does the "WindowDuration" property controls the duration of the window according to the "real time" or the "total duration of the recorded material"?
    In other words, if I set WindowDuration to 24 hours and then play (and record) the stream only 1 hour per day (say between 14:00 and 15:00), is it going to delete the recorded video for the previous day each day or only start deleting in 24 days?

    Thanks.
    Total duration of the recorded material. It would delete after 24 days.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi Scott, thanks for the response.

    The only issue here is if I stop/start the stream (or recording via the API) then there will be a gap where there's no recording (due to the overheads of stopping and then starting back).

    That is the reason I was asking about doing this without stopping the stream or the recording. Do you see a way around this?

    Perhaps I can start with a different recordingName each time and delete the old directory...Do you think this would be a good way?

    Thanks.

  4. #4

    Default

    Also I will be parsing the manifest file to gather information about the time periods of recordings done via nDVR for each stream.

    I think I can figure out the logic in the manifest file myself, but do you have any documentation for it?

    Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erbora00 View Post
    Also I will be parsing the manifest file to gather information about the time periods of recordings done via nDVR for each stream.

    I think I can figure out the logic in the manifest file myself, but do you have any documentation for it?

    Thanks.
    I do not have any docs on the manifest structure. I have plans to publish an article at some future time that demonstrates some of the functionality in the DVR manifest API.
    Sorry, but I don't have a timeframe for this.

    If you get stuck post the question on the forum and I'll try to push you forward.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erbora00 View Post
    Hi Scott, thanks for the response.

    The only issue here is if I stop/start the stream (or recording via the API) then there will be a gap where there's no recording (due to the overheads of stopping and then starting back).

    That is the reason I was asking about doing this without stopping the stream or the recording. Do you see a way around this?

    Perhaps I can start with a different recordingName each time and delete the old directory...Do you think this would be a good way?

    Thanks.
    You could use the recording API and create a different recordingName each time.
    Unfortunately we currently don't support more than 1 DVR recording of a given live stream at a time.
    In order to minimize recording loss, I would modify the example nDVR recording HTTPProvider to stop the old one and start the new one in the same request. I would guess you would lose at most one keyframe doing it this way.

Similar Threads

  1. Some questions
    By nightrider in forum Live Streaming and Encoders
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •