Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVR Playlist delegate API using UTC time

Default DVR Playlist delegate API using UTC time

Hi there .... I've downloaded patch 12 today, and reading all new thing since last I had (patch 3), I found a mention to capability of DVR playlist delegate API to allow creating playlist requests in packet time or UTC time.
    could you share an example of using it with UTC time? Are same parameters used (wowzadvrplayliststart ....)?
    Does the application need a setting in order to DVR to record using UTC time as reference, or is it by default using the mapping table?

thanks for any info you can share

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tavius View Post
    Hi there .... I've downloaded patch 12 today, and reading all new thing since last I had (patch 3), I found a mention to capability of DVR playlist delegate API to allow creating playlist requests in packet time or UTC time.
    could you share an example of using it with UTC time? Are same parameters used (wowzadvrplayliststart ....)?
    Does the application need a setting in order to DVR to record using UTC time as reference, or is it by default using the mapping table?

thanks for any info you can share

Cheers
    Tavius, You're right the infrastructure is in place to do that (the readme line is a bit deceiving), but I still need to update the article with the information, and do a bit more testing before I would recommend using it.

It's currently a Java API with no URL params like the DVR time.

The nDVR will store that information as it records. There is information in the manifest time map. The audio and video chunk manifest info also now contains the incoming packet time and UTC time. Again, I will be writing an article to describe this, but don't have a timeframe yet.

Scott

Thanks Scott .... looking forward to it.

my best wishes for you and Wowza team for this coming year!!!

Hi,

So if there is no examples of requesting of playlists in UTC time than I've got a question.

If I'm choose to use floating window frame with width of say two weeks where I've got a start point from which I should calculate beginning point of my playlist when recorded data became older than two weeks and the first chunk of recorded data from which I have calculated beginning point have wiped then where the start point will be? Or DVR stores information about first chunk somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by xzerth View Post
    Hi,

So if there is no examples of requesting of playlists in UTC time than I've got a question.

If I'm choose to use floating window frame with width of say two weeks where I've got a start point from which I should calculate beginning point of my playlist when recorded data became older than two weeks and the first chunk of recorded data from which I have calculated beginning point have wiped then where the start point will be? Or DVR stores information about first chunk somewhere?
    The beginning point when you start recording is always 0. If say, 1 day of information has dropped off the window, then the first available chunk will be at time=24 hours.

I suggest you try out the Wowza nDVR Duration Query API. With this you can query a stream and see the time information. It will also give you some info regarding the underlying API by looking at the code.
    Last edited by ScottKell; 02-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKell View Post
    The beginning point when you start recording is always 0. If say, 1 day of information has dropped off the window, then the first available chunk will be at time=24 hours.

I suggest you try out the Wowza nDVR Duration Query API. With this you can query a stream and see the time information. It will also give you some info regarding the underlying API by looking at the code.
    BTW, It seems maybe you are trying to record a very long (infinite?) recording and pull specific shows out of it. I've seen many folks try to do it the way you mention by using the playlist. This will work, but IMO a more scalable method is to record each show individually using the recording API.
    Wowza nDVR Recording API

Should your encoder start doing crazy things it will keep problems isolated to a single 'show', as well as make it easier to manage them.
    Last edited by ScottKell; 02-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Hi,

In my initial reply to you, I incorrectly said time=0 instead of time=24 hours. I fixed it in the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKell View Post
    In my initial reply to you, I incorrectly said time=0 instead of time=24 hours. I fixed it in the reply.
    Thank you

But I thought that packets drops off the windows continiously, so the initial time as it regarding to the first packet will right along shifts. So how can I calculate a position of programm if it is?

BTW, It seems maybe you are trying to record a very long (infinite?) recording and pull specific shows out of it. I've seen many folks try to do it the way you mention by using the playlist. This will work, but IMO a more scalable method is to record each show individually using the recording API.
    Wowza nDVR Recording API
    Yes I'm trying to record 2 weeks content and then pull specific programms. Your suggestion is good but only in ideal situation because EPG which we use (and that folks who want to make same things as we do) is not precisely match in time to live stream so we need to verify position of start point before pull to users.

And another question regarding thread.

If I use url like this

http://[wowza-address]:1935/dvr/myStream/playlist.m3u8?DVR
    then I get current (live) position of the stream with DVR feature and possibility of unwind to the initial time content position. But how can I ban this possibility? I mean how can I cut the length of unwind back say we store content about two weeks but users can unwind only in 2 hours back? This is not situation like with playlists because we need to provide in this case feature of live stream if user will rewind forward.

And another question regarding thread.

If I use url like this

http://[wowza-address]:1935/dvr/myStream/playlist.m3u8?DVR
    then I get current (live) position of the stream with DVR feature and possibility of unwind to the initial time content position. But how can I ban this possibility? I mean how can I cut the length of unwind back say we store content about two weeks but users can unwind only in 2 hours back? This is not situation like with playlists because we need to provide in this case feature of live stream if user will rewind forward.

Short answer: For a live stream, you specify the start time but not an end time.
    Check out this article, which explains this: Wowza nDVR Playlist Request API

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast