Thread: Digital Rights

Default Digital Rights

Hello,

I am working on the streamed data security in Wowza and I need some information regarding this. I have collected some of the threats faced by the streaming data and I need information on how Wowza can overcome these threats. Below are the threats...

Possible Streaming content security threats

1. Persistent protection - DRM protection must stay with the content even after delivery.
    In the DRM literature, this required level of protection—which
    goes beyond the protection that standard cryptography can provide—is often referred
    to as “persistent protection”.
    a) Stream ripping - Storing of copyright material.
    b) Reproducing the content.
    2. Any media streamed to a personal computer can be recorded using an analog device.
    For example, the video displayed on the monitor screen can be captured via screen
    shots. In the DRM world, this fundamental problem is known as the “analog hole” [1]
    and is considered beyond the boundary of protection provided by a DRM system.
    3. Garble or destroy the encrypted media stream, thus rendering it useless to the
    legitimate recipient.
    4. Allowing streamed data access only by Legitimate recipients.

I have read about the third party DRM Add-on available in wowza. Please suggest the security features available as-such in Wowza without these third party DRM support.

Regards,
    Excel

Sir,

Can this reply be point to point. I have listed 4 security threats what we perceive. Please list the solutions against each threat. We are also looking this on wide array of platforms like iOS, Android and Browser. Please provide the solution against these platforms for each threat.

Regards,
    Excel

I'm not a security expert. We have these tools and methods for protecting content and controlling access which provide degrees of security. Any security at all is enough to stop most people from pirating content. Return on effort diminishes quickly after that.

Richard

In addition to Richard's suggestions, for iDevices (iOS) see these articles:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ternal-method)

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ternal-method)

Beyond that integrating with 3rd party DRM platforms using Wowza DRM AddOn will provide the strongest level of protection. Verimatrix offers secure clients for PCs, Macs, iDevices, Android devices, and set-top boxes.

Alex