Thread: Servers, multiple instances and user access

Default Servers, multiple instances and user access

Hi

I'm running Windows 2008 server and I note from these forums that I can run multiple server instances on this server. However I would like some more in depth knowledge on both the server security aspects and the Wowza configurations. I was wondering if the more experienced could assist with this. Specifically:

(a) Can anyone link me to a good sites that explain how to restrict user access on servers to just one folder containing the Wowza server instance? Is it just simply locking the server down for one user to one folder? Would it be correct for the user to access through remote desktop?

(b) The key forum posts on this website to explain the configurations of multiple server instances? Can I use different folders for different server instances?

Once again many thanks in advance?

Hi John,

(a) There are many ways to do this, but I don't know of a tutorial. There is a section in the manual about running as a certain user. Access to folders is something you'll need to learn about for your particular operating system. Wowza uses some environment variables which you would have to set differently for each user. I'm sure there is a way to do this in Linux. In Windows, I don't know the way. Wowza is a command line program so remote desktop probably won't help.

(b) Yes you can set the <StorageDir> property in your Application.xml.

You could do it in a Wowza Application Module:

package test;

import com.wowza.wms.amf.*;
    import com.wowza.wms.application.IApplicationInstance;
    import com.wowza.wms.client.*;
    import com.wowza.wms.module.*;
    import com.wowza.wms.request.*;

public class ModuleLimitAppInstance extends ModuleBase {

public void onConnect(IClient client, RequestFunction function,
    			AMFDataList params) {
    		getLogger().info("onConnect: " + client.getClientId());

if (!client.getAppInstance().getName().equals(IApplicationInstance.DEFAULT_APPINSTANCE_NAME))
    		{
    			client.rejectConnection();
    		}

}

}
    Richard

Always appreciated Richard and thanks also Randall.

Richard, could you link me to a walk through on what that code is doing exactly? Or briefly explain the stages?

:-)

This would run when a Flash application or an RTMP encoder connects to Wowza. It will check if the connections is using default application instance (_definst_), and if not the connection is rejected. You could fill this out from HTTP and RTSP clients:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-and-San-Jose)

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....TSP-RTP-stream

Richard

Default RTSP live streaming to multiple server instaces

Hi,

I am working on an iPhone application which captures video from the iPhone's camera and acts as an RTSP server. The idea is to give all the people this application so that they can stream live from their iPhones.
    I have followed the following tutorial and have tested the live streaming successfully:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?39

Now I am a bit confused that if all the users will be trying to stream live simultaneously, I will have to run multiple instances of Wowza on different servers. In such a case the application on the phone won't know which server instance to connect to (i.e. which server has less traffic). So I would like to know that is there any configuration that can be made in Wowza to connect to the appropriate instance.

Thanks,

Manas

Manas, you do not need a separate server for each stream, your users will just need to use unique stream names, or you can have separate apps for each user.

Also, have a look at this pre-built app for live streaming from IOS devices:
    GoCoder App

Salvadore