Thread: Logging persistence

Arrow Logging persistence

Hi,

I'm trying to think through the problem of maintaing a collection of log files for the Wowza on EC2. Since these instances may come and go, I want to make sure that logs are kept, rather than being deleted with the termination of an instance. There seem to be three ways to do this:

Rotate log files off to S3
    As log files get rotated, they get copied over to S3 and hang around there. This seems fine, if a little fiddly. Analysis could happen via a very temporary beefy spot instance, and send static files to a website someplace.
    http://www.wmconsulting.info/working-with-wowza-logs/
    http://www.benjiegillam.com/2010/12/...ur-logs-to-s3/

Log directly to MySQL on Amazon's RDS
    Log entries get entered directly into a MySQL database in Amazon's infrastructure. This could get expensive quickly depending on the number of requests and eventual size of the database. There's also the question of "now what", since I'm not exactly sure how one could analyse that data conveniently without writing a bunch of SQL. And (apparently) it's kind of buggy.
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-to-a-Database

Use log4j to log directly to another EC2 instance
    Would probably work okay, but that's a (minimum) $70/month to do, and doesn't really solve the persistence problem, because that instance could itself go away.

I'm leaning towards the first option: rotating files off to S3, but I'm wondering what other people have done to solve this problem.

Thanks!

.j

Another option is mount an EBS volume and move the logs folder to it. Then replace the log folder with symlink.

Also, coming soon: EBS backed instances.

Richard

How would the EBS mount work with concurrency? I'd have to (somehow) change each server's config to create files with unique names, I suppose. I'm thinking the S3 solution might be easiest. How far away are EBS-backed larger instances?

You can only mount an EBS volume on one instance, so no concurrency worry.

Not sure when EBS backed instances are coming, sometime soon.

Richard

5. Default

Hi Jurgen,

Have you tried any reporting tools that provide statistics information without using tons of log? Your reporting solution does not use log parsing, however it provides basic statistics for your server which you might need.

---
    Yury