Thread: Migration from Eval License to Monthly License broke my Multicast stream

Default Migration from Eval License to Monthly License broke my Multicast stream

I had a working setup that included an encoder sending a unicast live stream to my Wowza server (30 day eval license) which then put the stream back out on the network as a multicast event for my users. Once the eval expired, I purchases a month-to-month license and installed it on the Wowza server but the Multicast piece is no longer working. I've gone through the Application.XML and Multicastmap.txt files but do not see any reason that this would not be working. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
    Tim

Hi tilister,

Could you describe your setup in more detail? Did you install Wowza on a different computer than the one you were using for evaluation? If so, it could be a firewall issue. I suggest doing some systematic troubleshooting: Try to play the encoder stream directly, perhaps with VLC. Try playing a vod file from Wowza. Try playing your stream as unicast from Wowza, etc..

What do you see in the logs when you publish and play?

Actually, I have not changed anything other than the licensing. What I have is an Inlet encoder that is streaming a live feed via Unicast to the server with Wowza installed. I'm then using Wowza to take this unicast stream and put it out on the network via multicast. I have verified that the unicast stream is going out OK and since both boxes are on the same VLAN, I do not see how a FW could be the issue. The only potential FW would be on the Wowza server which would have been a problem before the license change but apparently was not. When I look at the logs, I see several messages that seems like the multicast is trying to start but then disconnects. I am not on the server now but will log in later today to pull the logs if needed.

Check that the license code is the correct one in Server.license in the conf folder - also check your error logs - my guess is that license code isn't correct in Server.license and then it isn't starting.

tilister,

It seems strange. I can't imagine why changing the license would affect multicast streaming. My intuition says it's a configuration issue. Did you make any other changes?

If you think it's a bug, try to reproduce the problem using Flash Media Live Encoder as your encoder(Note the EULA). If it's still happening, list the specific steps for me to reproduce and I will test it.

Include:

Wowza Media Server version and build number
    Platform, operating system and Java version on which Wowza Media Server is running
    URL of tutorial or instructions being used
    Player technology being used (Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, iOS device, Set-top box...)
    Relevant Application.xml
    Live encoder/IP camera manufacturer/version and exact encoding settings (live streaming only)

joexromero,
    If it were not the correct license, wouldn't the Wowza fail on start up? It starts without any issues so I am inclined to think it is something else.

randall,
    The steps are pretty simple. We had the setup completed in late November for the customer on temporary license to prove that everything worked. They have now decided to buy everything so I went back into the Wowza server and added the new license string to the Server.license file, after removing the old one of course, rebooted the box and then restarted by unicast stream. Literally nothing else changed. I am going back to the site today to do some troubleshooting since one thing I did not do was confirm that the Wowza server is receiving the stream. I know the encoder is sending it of course and since they are on the same LAN segment I assumed this was not a problem but need to double check of course. From memory, here is the details you asked:
    Wowza Media Server version and build number
    Latest that was available for download in November but I suspect it was

Platform, operating system and Java version on which Wowza Media Server is running
    The server is an older Cisco UCS chassis running Windows.

URL of tutorial or instructions being used
    Multicast Publish Add on:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....m-to-multicast

Player technology being used (Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, iOS device, Set-top box...)
    We are using Adobe Flash player on the desktops to see the video.

Relevant Application.xml
    I will get this for you this afternoon.

Live encoder/IP camera manufacturer/version and exact encoding settings (live streaming only)
    The encoder is an Inlet encoder 6000 from Cisco:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11805/index.html

I'll get the details you requested above when I go there today and upload to this thread.

Thanks for the info. So, all we know now is the client can't see the stream. So, you're right, you'll want to isolate the problem. Test the encoder stream, perhaps in VLC. Check the Wowza logs when you start encoding, to see that Wowza is receiving the stream. Test the unicast stream coming out of Wowza in VLC: rtsp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/[application]/myStream. Then test multicast by opening the .sdp file in VLC. Found here: [install-dir]/applications/[application]/sdp. Finally test this: rtsp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/[application]/myStream?multicastplay.

All,
    I cannot explain this but today when I went to troubleshoot, everything was working. Nothing has changed since I left the set up on Thursday evening other than the time. I will keep checking in but for now I appreciate all of the responses.

Thanks,
    Tim