Wowza Community

VOD to Microsoft Mediaroom through smoothstreaming

I’m following the VOD tutorial to stream the sample.mp4 to a Microsoft Mediaroom. It works on the example silverlight player, but not on the STB. The box requests the manifest, the httpSmoothStreamingSession is created, but after a few seconds the stream is destroyed.

Has anyone attempted this before?

I’ve haven’t tried MS Mediaroom. I have tried Smooth streaming to WMP, and that did not work.

Richard

Try this patch. It includes smooth streaming changes for Windows 8. Probably same issue on MediaRoom:

WowzaMediaServer3.1.1-patch9.zip

Charlie

There is not a way to change this in Wowza at present as far as I know

Richard

For .ism files generated by Expression 4 Encoder use “smil:” prefix. But we don’t recommend this encoding method (ism and ismv files); it will work but the .ismv files are fragmented .mp4 file which cause CPU spikes when they are started. Also, Expression 4 Encoder can record multiple video and audio tracks to a .ismv file which Wowza does not support, so do not encode that way.

For smooth streams, make sure there is an audio track, and preferably AAC audio

Also b-frames in this scenario have been problematic.

Richard

Another user asked: “Do you think implementing some sort of proxy between Wowza and the STB to fix the URLs would work?”

You could rewrite ASCII in packets no problem with Perl, or some other packet mangler. But that doesn’t seem like an ideal solution.

In this post user thenriques shows the URL that is requested. If someone could post the Wowza generated URL and a working IIS generated URL from your tests with this MediaRoom issue, that could help move closer towards a solution/patch.

Hi

Did you try the patch posted by Charlie in post #8 for the MS Mediaroom issue?

Jason

INFO stream create 300_p.mp4 -

INFO server comment - onHTTPSessionCreate: 929565544

INFO server comment - onHTTPSmoothStreamingSessionCreate: 929565544

INFO server comment - onHTTPSmoothStreamingSessionCreate: 10.39.100.102

INFO server comment - onHTTPSmoothStreamingSessionCreate: null

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.mp4ReadAheadSize: 65536

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.mp4ReadAheadTrigger: 32768

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.mp4IndexBufferSize: 16384

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.randomAccessReaderClass: com.wowza.io.Dir

ectRandomAccessReader

DEBUG server comment - audioDuration:183.5537188208617:44100:8094719

DEBUG server comment - videoDuration:183.65434565434566:1001:183838

DEBUG server comment - duration:183.65434565434566

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.mp4ReadAheadSize: 65536

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.mp4ReadAheadTrigger: 32768

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.mp4IndexBufferSize: 16384

DEBUG server comment - MediaReaderH264.randomAccessReaderClass: com.wowza.io.Dir

ectRandomAccessReader

DEBUG server comment - audioDuration:183.5537188208617:44100:8094719

DEBUG server comment - videoDuration:183.65434565434566:1001:183838

DEBUG server comment - duration:183.65434565434566

INFO server comment - ServerHandler.exceptionCaught[[any]:1935:10.39.100.102]: j

ava.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the software in you

r host machine

DEBUG server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreamer.canHandle[vod/300_p.

mp4/QualityLevels(121340)/Fragments(audio=0)/Chunks({chunk]: false

INFO server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterSanJoseStreamer.canHandle[vod/300_p.mp4

/QualityLevels(121340)/Fragments(audio=0)/Chunks({chunk]: false

INFO server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterDvrChunkStreamer.canHandle[vod/300_p.mp

4/QualityLevels(121340)/Fragments(audio=0)/Chunks({chunk]: false

DEBUG server comment - ServerHandler.handleSessionIdle: idleTimeout: 32

DEBUG server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreamer.canHandle[vod/smil:3

00_p.mp4/Manifest]: false

This is what I’m getting in my logger. Does it ring a bell?

I’m working on this again. I’ve tried feeding video to the STB using IIS and it works. After comparing the manifests generated by IIS and Wowza, and looking at the logger, I’ve concluded that the problem must be the way the STB is building the Url specified in the StreamIndex tag. In Wowza’s manifest it has the following structure:

<StreamIndex Type="video" Chunks="204" QualityLevels="1" MaxWidth="424" MaxHeight="240" DisplayWidth="424" DisplayHeight="240" Timescale="10000000" Url="QualityLevels({bitrate})/Fragments(video={start time})/Chunks({chunk id})/WowzaSessions(382630294).ismv">

While on IIS it is generated this way:

<StreamIndex Type="video" Name="video" Chunks="136" QualityLevels="8" MaxWidth="720" MaxHeight="480" DisplayWidth="720" DisplayHeight="480" Url="QualityLevels({bitrate})/Fragments(video={start time})">

Using Wowza, the STB tries to access the url:

vod/300_p.mp4/QualityLevels(121340)/Fragments(audio=0)/Chunks({chunk

Is there any way I can change the URL structure generated in Wowza’s manifest? Do you think implementing some sort of proxy between Wowza and the STB to fix the URLs would work?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Hi…

Any news about this problem?

This Manifest works in mediaroom:

http://playready.directtaps.net/smoothstreaming/TTLSS720VC1/To_The_Limit_720.ism/Manifest

The Manifest generated by Wowza doesn’t work.

Any solution.

Both files are in smooth streaming

Thanks

Any news about this solution…Thank’s.

Yes it didn’t work.

I have the version Wowza media Server Wowza Media Server 3.1.2

Any news on this? As you know, Microsoft Mediaroom is the world’s biggest IPTV platform… I’m sure you have a valid business case to support this…

Also, is there any way you can support live MPEG-TS streams over HTTP? Mediaroom only supports live OTT MPEG-TS streams encapsulated in HTTP, not in RTP/RTSP… (Even if get you Smoothstreaming working on Mediaroom, officially Microsoft only supports SmoothStreaming for VOD content, not Live)

Hi

Did you try the patch posted by Charlie in post #8 for the MS Mediaroom issue?

Jason

Yes, it didn’t work… But works from IIS…

Dear All,

Im trying to access through mediaroom to this link but doesn’t work: http://playready.directtaps.net/smoothstreaming/TTLSS720VC1/To_The_Limit_720.ism/Manifest

Does anyone get success streaming video from wowza server to mediaroom STB or event to the mediaroom emulator?

Any help?

thanks

Hi…

Any news about this problem?

This Manifest works in mediaroom:

http://playready.directtaps.net/smoothstreaming/TTLSS720VC1/To_The_Limit_720.ism/Manifest

The Manifest generated by Wowza doesn’t work.

Any solution.

Both files are in smooth streaming

Thanks

Hi,

we’ve got the same issue…

we see that’s it seams there is a trouble with the generation of the Manifest. some videos works some not…

it’s really strange.

Microsoft said to us that the trouble seams to be the chunks …

if you have any suggestions to change it it would be great

Sylvain