Thread: Estimated costs for a rookie???

Default Estimated costs for a rookie???

We are looking at options for live streaming an event. I have heard good things about the WOWSA server & Amazon and wanted an estimated cost based on experience here. Does anyone have any estimates on what I would need from Amazon and the costs that would be associated?

Looking at live video streaming for approx. 1500 people watching, 4 hours per day, 4 days a month. We are not completely sure on the quality that we are going to broadcast at, but lets just assume it will be SD (500-600 Kbps)??

Any help on how I could figure that out and what I would need as far as an Wowza & Amazon EC2?

Hope you can help me get this off the ground and started.

Thanks!

Hello jvphobic,

Have you seen the Wowza Amazon EC2 pricing page? You can calculate your instance and bandwidth costs using that info. "Option 2" on that page is probably what you want.

Default I did see that website.

I was just wasn't sure how to estimate the bandwidth usage? How much bandwidth are 1500 users watching 4 hours of video going to take per day? I guess that is what I had the hard time estimating?

I think it is just:

1500 * 4 * 60 * 60 * bitrate * .001 = kilobits

kilobits / 8 = kilobytes

Richard

Default Thanks Richard

So, according to my calculations, with 1500 users I would only be using 1.2 GB per day. That is gonna only be like 5 dollars for the entire weekend? Then the cost of the instance on top of that.

Any recommendations on the instance that I should use for something like that?

I really do appreciate all the help so far.

I get 1620GB per day.

1500 streams * 600kbps = 900,000kbps /1000 = 900Mbps /1000 = .9Gbps /8 = 0.1125GBps
    0.1125GBps * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 4 hours = 1620GB per day.
    1620GB * $0.12/GB = $194.4/day

Not sure which instance is good for ~1000Mbps. Maybe someone else can chime in with a recommendation, or perhaps Amazon support?

You will likely want something close to a modern dual core processor, or faster.

Default Not a math major. :)

I must have missed a decimal or something there in the conversion. Thanks for clearing that up! I thought that was too good to be true.

You guys have been great, and a great help. I can't wait to evaluate more options and see if the Wowza server is the right method for me or if just going with a Livestream suits us best.

Thanks!