Thread: EBS Backed EC2 Instance

Question EBS Backed EC2 Instance

Trawling through old posts keeps bringing up mentions of v2 Times have changed, I'm using v3 and would like to know how to create an EBS backed Wowza EC2 instance.

Is there an official Wowza tutorial knocking around?
    As far as I can tell, instance-store is generally not recommended (unless you have some kind of complex system that starts/stops instances on the fly), so I'm confused as to why I'm having such a hard time finding some up-to-date, comprehensive and accurate information on this matter?

Please help

You can start your own EBS back instance, then install and tune Wowza as you would on any server.

Richard

Smile

Thanks Richard, it might be useful to mention that as a simple solution next to your list of Wowza AMIs?

So for the record, what we've done is to create a 'small' instance (starting as small as possible for the development phase) - I started on 'micro' and pretty quickly hit a bug trying to install java:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/634487
    ...basically, it's a bug in the 32-bit EC2 hypervisor on micro instances, workaround is to use a 64-bit OS, a different region (working in US-West) or a "small" rather than "micro" instance.

I tried switching to 'small' to install stuff then back to 'micro' but that dies horribly too.
    On the positive side, changing an instance type is extremely easy and seems to work with no problems!

One thing I can't manage to do yet is get Wowza to run at startup on Ubuntu - I've tried a bunch of things that seem like they should work but after reboot I can't connect. Sigh. Any ideas on what I should be doing here?

Anyway, here's the process (just the bits that worked properly):
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre

wget http://www.wowza.com/uploads/installers/WowzaMediaServer-3.0.3.deb.bin
    chmod +x WowzaMediaServer-3.0.3.deb.bin
    sudo ./WowzaMediaServer-3.0.3.deb.bin

cd /usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/bin
    sudo ./startup.sh

# haven't found a way to make it start automatically on ubuntu, grr
    sudo service WowzaMediaServer start

It is either

service WowzaMediaServer start
    or
    /etc/init.d/WowzaMediaServer start
    If it doesn't start on reboot, then you can put that line in /etc/rc.local

Richard

In order to get an EBS backed wowza instance I cant use the devpay or lickey licensing pre-configured ami.

Instead I need to get a standard ami & EBS volume completely independent from wowza. Install Java and wowza on that instance myself, get the EBS volume and attach it to that instance.
    Then I need to get a separate wowza license? e.g. the one for 55.-USD per month.

Did I understand this right?

That is my understanding as well, but I have not done this.

Richard

I'd just like to confirm this is still the case? You cannot use the devpay AMIs if you want a EBS backed instance. Is that correct?

Is there any technical reasons this is not possible? Just wondering if this is something we might see in the future or not.

I've built my own instance with a Wowza lickey and tried to tune it myself but thought there would be more advantages to having one pre-tuned by more knowledgeable people than me

That's right, still correct. It is a limitation of AWS EC2 service. I do not know why.

Richard

EBS-backed AMIs seem to be available here: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00ETDMYB2

You still can't use devpay or "embedded license" with a EBS backed instance; they are "Bring Your Own License (BYOL)" instances, which means you have to use a Wowza Subscription or Perpetual license that is purchased separately.

Richard