Thread: For vod kind of applicaition, how to pause and resume on server side?

Default For vod kind of applicaition, how to pause and resume on server side?

Pausing seems easy, I use IMediaStreamPlay pause(PAUSE_PAUSE, 0);

Resuming not that simple because I can't find API for finding TC of pause position. So don't know how to invoke pause(PAUSE_PLAY, ?) later when ready to resume.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 01-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.

There is not a way to pause and resume server-side. It has to be initiated by the client

Richard

Hi there,
    Is it not possible when a player send a request, the server start serving the video from the point which was watched last?

There is no built-in way to do that automatically for a client session. You can start a RTMP or HTTP video on demand stream at any point, and if you know when the previous play was stopped you can start it from that point, but a lot of work will be required to keep track and implement such a feature.

You can set start position for RTMP like this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....insert-Midroll

For HTTP like this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....HTTP-streaming

I don't have a good example of getting the last position of playback to apply to this, especially for HTTP. IMediaStreamActionNotify3.onSeek() has a location arg, but you can't rely on that, and the onStop handler does not. You would really need to involve the client, and probably have to stick to Flash RTMP clients to do it.

Richard

Thanks Richard,
    I think i can hook into onMeta in IMediaStreamNotify. That will give me idea of the location which is in milliseconds. In case of mp4 file seconds is good. In case of flv files i need to convert that into bytes. I got a subroutine which actually converts seconds to bytes.

I got a setup running purely on reading the raw files but that does not support the scaling which the Wowza Supports. I m trying to make it work on Wowza. If we are successfuly then i will port the whole plateform to Wowza.