Wowza Community

Wowza and encrypted MP4 files

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding Wowza’s handling of encrypted files. I currently have a Flash Access encrypted file (audio and video streams are encrypted, the container is still plain MP4) which I try to play out over Wowza. Unfortunately, Wowza doesn’t parse the file and refuses to send the file content to the (of course Flash Access-enabled) player.

Log output:

INFO session connect-pending 127.0.0.1 -
INFO session connect 127.0.0.1 -
INFO stream create - -
WARN server comment test.out.mp4 MediaReaderH264.open[2]: java.lang.Exception: QTUtils.parseQTMediaContainer: Atom size is invalid: 0
WARN server comment test.out.mp4 MediaReaderH264.open[2]: java.lang.Exception: QTUtils.parseQTMediaContainer: Atom size is invalid: 0
INFO stream destroy test.out.mp4 -
INFO session disconnect 2028679764 -

Is there any way to work around this and force Wowza to start delivering the media file?

Best regards,

Matthias

Hi

That’s not possible I’m afraid Wowza needs to read the data and can’t if its encrypted that way.

you can send an encrypted stream though Wowza via RTMPE, RTMPTE or RTMPS.

This guide will show you how to do it,

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-require-a-secure-rtmp-connection-modulerequiresecureconnection

Jason

Hi

It sounds like you have access to the content but not the certificate required to decrypt the content, which is what Flash Access was designed to do.

Jason

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, using RTMPE and the like is not an option because the content provider (or to be more specific, the movie production studios) insist that the media files itself are DRM protected using Flash Access.

Of course, “the streaming server that is not to be named” handles those encrypted files nicely…

-Matthias