Thread: Live streaming problem

Default Live streaming problem

I am trying to configure a live streaming server. And to feed the live stream, I am using ffmpeg from a file. and sending to localhost where wowza picks up the stream. my ffmpeg command line is as follows:

ffmpeg -re -i To_The_Limit_1080.wmv -threads 0 -c:v libx264 -preset fast -crf 28 -c:a libmp3lame -aq 7 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -f flv rtmp://

All is fine until the encoding ends, (which is always faster than live broadcast from wowza server), at which point the stream stops.
    In the wowza example player, it immediately shows loss of stream, yet it keeps playing to the end. but.. why is it ending the stream. I want to keep the stream open.

Also in other players, as soon as encoder is done, the stream ends. where is the data that the encoder pushed to the streamer?

Pardon me if i should know all this, but i dont. I am learning.
    Thank you, and all feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Okay I test with RED5 and it seems to keep the live stream open always. Media encodes, encoder finishes and everything plays as expected.
    The quality of the stream is certainly not as good as wowza, however the stream staying open and not closing as one would expect of a live stream.
    How can i make this happen with wowza.
    Last edited by madsage; 01-27-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: update

Take a look at this ffmpeg method using mpegts instead of RTMP. This is what we recommend.