Thread: Using push publishing plugin with new Wowza Server 3 on Amazon EC2

Default Using push publishing plugin with new Wowza Server 3 on Amazon EC2

We are currently using the Wowza 2.2.4 AMI on EC2 (ami-5c649835). We use the push publishing plugin in that environment, and it works fine for us.

I tried upgrading our stack to use the 3.0.3 devpay AMI (ami-b14296d8) and got a licensing error (com.wowza.wms.server.LicensingException: Server.license) at what appears to be the point in our code where we utilize the plugin. Looking on the site, there is some language about not being able to use "premium" plugins, etc. with the devpay AMIs. Is that my problem? Is the push publishing plugin considered a 'premium' plugin and not eligible for use with the devpay AMI?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

That AMI is not in the current list. Is it devpay or lickey (license key)? I think push publish should work with devpay, as far as I know. With lickey AMI you need to use a subscription or perpetual license. What is the output of:
    http://[ec2-public-dns]:1935
    Richard

You are correct, it isn't in the current list, since you guys have updated that list very recently . However, the AMI registers as a devpay AMI (in the long name that EC2 provides), and I'm sure the "previous versions" list would include it. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the 1935 response would be, since I've already torn down the instance.

I'm under some time constraints right now, so I've gone back to the 2.2.4 AMI for the time being. I'm also wondering if maybe I had to get a 3.0.3 (or 3.0.4) version of the plugin to work. Assuming that I can progress with the 2.2.4 version for now, I'll get back to this in a couple of weeks. Although the Fedora 8 platform for that old AMI is just painful...

Re-download the push publishing package and use the most recent .jar file. This problem has been fixed. Be sure to check the Javadocs for updated codes samples. A few have changed.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Re-download the push publishing package and use the most recent .jar file. This problem has been fixed. Be sure to check the Javadocs for updated codes samples. A few have changed.

Charlie
    So this solved the license exception, but now I'm having another problem. This gets a bit complicated, so bear with me for a sec.

I have two Wowza applications I'm using on the same box. We route media through the box in the following way:

FMS -> pushes stream to "live" application -> pushes stream to "cdn" application -> pushes stream to Akamai

For the two Wowza-initiated links ("live" -> "cdn" and "cdn" -> akamai), I use the push publishing plugin. I also set a listener (which implements IMediaStreamActionNotify2, IPushPublisherRTMPNotify) to get the status events for the pushed stream. I needed to implement this listener because sometimes the connect to Akamai succeeds, but the actual stream would not flow (say, if the Akamai entry point was malfunctioning).

The code path for the two "push" events is nearly identical and everything works just fine with the 2.2.4 server and the older version of the plugin. With the new server and plugin, the first push (live->cdn) works fine. The second push (cdn->Akamai) appears to actually *work* (e.g., the stream gets pushed to Akamai -- although I need to verify this). However, I never get any status updates, e.g., my listener's "onStreamOnStatus" method is never invoked for the "cdn" -> Akamai case.

Is there an API change I need to accommodate to get this working again? I couldn't find anything obvious in the docs.

Hmmm. I think I found the issue. For some reason, my Eclipse didn't complain the first time I compiled my code with the new plugin, but did on the second time. Looks like you added a couple of new methods to the listener (onValidateSession and onValidateSessionResult) that I have to implement. That will be my project on Monday morning...

Did you look at the updated code for Akamai push in the newer Javadocs. Things changed a bit. I don't think it is actually working. Probably due to authentication issues. You will see how the new codes has two authentication methods based on the Flash player version string being used.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by alarge View Post
    Hmmm. I think I found the issue. For some reason, my Eclipse didn't complain the first time I compiled my code with the new plugin, but did on the second time. Looks like you added a couple of new methods to the listener (onValidateSession and onValidateSessionResult) that I have to implement. That will be my project on Monday morning...
    This could be the problem.

Charlie

Ok, looks like it was a combination of both issues: the missing onValidateSession* methods and the new logic around auth to Akamai. Although I'd like to register my dismay at the liberal use of "Verion" instead of "Version" in the new API, I did get it working .

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for pointing this out. This will be fixed in next release of API by creating parallel version with correct spelling.

Charlie