Wowza Community

iOS 3.1.3 shows error message "This movie could not be played." in Wowza3

We had updated Wowza from 2.2.4 to 3.0.3

Now we have a problem…

Some video files cannot be played in iPhone3G (iOS 3.1.3), but others work fine.

The error message is “This movie could not be played.”

The playlist of the file which cannot be played

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=246424,CODECS=“avc1.66.12, mp4a.40.2”,RESOLUTION=426x240

playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=416725409

The playlist of the file which can be played

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=365255,CODECS=“avc1.66.30, mp4a.40.2”,RESOLUTION=426x240

playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=67291830

The encoding settings are not same with these two files, but these files work fine in Wowza 2.2.4 before.

Does anything change form 2.2.4 to 3.0.3 in HTTP Live Streaming?

And is there any solution since we cannot force our customers to upgrade their phone?

Thanks,

Roy

Roy,

At this time, for iOS 3x devices you will have to set these Property settings to “false”

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-add-resolution-and-codec-metadata-to-ios-streams

I think this might be addressed in a future release of Wowza automatically, tho the case for that is diminishing inasmuch as iOS 3 is so old. Personally I don’t think it is too much to ask customers running iOS 3x to upgrade, at this point.

Richard

Richard,

After I modified the Property settings of HTTPStreamer as you described, it works fine now.

Thanks for your reply.

Roy

I have three .stream files in the content to directory pointing to valid streams on the origin server, and a smil file referring to those three .stream files. Streaming seems to work from an iOS client perspective.