Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Errors in repeater application

Default Errors in repeater application

I believe there may be something wrong with my configuration for my repeater on Amazon ec2. I see this in the log file and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction as to where the problem is.

CupertinoStreamerLiveRepeaterReceiver.addVideoData[2]: java.lang.NullPointerException

I have three .stream files in the content to directory pointing to valid streams on the origin server, and a smil file referring to those three .stream files. Streaming seems to work from an iOS client perspective.

My application.xml has StreamType of "liverepeater-edge" and the proper OriginURL setting.

Thanks.

Are you using the audio rendition technique?

Do you have the correct LiveStreamPacketizers in the origin and edge Application.xml files?
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....urePacketizers

Richard

1. I have never heard of the audio rendition technique, so it is doubtful that I am using it. [Edit] I am not using this technique, I am using wowza to transcode the stream on the repeater using transrate.xml.

2. Yes, I have these in my /Root/Application/Steams:

<LiveStreamPacketizers>smoothstreamingrepeater,cupertinostreamingrepeater,sanjosestreamingrepeater</LiveStreamPacketizers>
    Last edited by grantk; 02-06-2012 at 09:09 AM.

/Root/Application/Steams?

Is Application.xml here?:

[wowza-install]/conf/[edge-app-name]/Application.xml

Richard

Yes, that's the file. That string represents the location of the Streams element inside the file, sorry for the confusion, and "Steams" is spelled correctly inside the Application.xml file. Everything seems to work, but there's obviously a problem that is causing this error. Maybe the best option is to eliminate things like the .smil file and then each .stream file and see if the errors disappear?

Yes, please do that.

If there is no evident problem in streaming, it might be nothing to worry about. Wowza generates ERROR and WARN lines in the log for many different reasons. There might have been some transitory network problem at the root of this error

Richard

It appears this error is not happening continuously, is it possible this would happen when the origin server wowza process was restarted? I'll continue to monitor the logs and report back any findings, thanks for your help. On a similar note, we have seen several cases of streaming problems, including iOS clients not being able to stream, stream switching taking a long time, etc, and a restart of the Wowza process seemed to fix things. When looking at the java process when this happens, it seems to be humming along happily with very low memory usage and CPU less than 50%. Is there a recommendation to restart Wowza on a regular basis?

Thanks.

Servers and software should be re-started once in awhile, but no, there is not a recommendation to re-start Wowza in regular operation. You mention a couple of different problems you have noticed, but there is not enough info to comment on any of them. Take one at a time, gather as much info as possible.

Richard

OK, I'll attempt to isolate and get more info over the next week. thanks again

First of all, I am running Wowza 3.03.12 build 1064 on the origin and 3.0.3 build 882 on the repeater. I am guessing you'll recommend first upgrading to 3.04 for both, but I wanted to get this info out there in case there is something that jumps out that I'm doing wrong.

This problem happens when a stream is switched. The incoming live stream and the video we are switching to are encoded the same bit rate and key frame intervals.

On the repeater, I am seeing the following in the error log.

name.stream_320x180_150]: Live stream packetCupertinoStreamerLiveRepeaterPlayer.play[liverepeater/_definst_/streamname]: Live stream packetizer not found: cupertinostreamingpacketizer
    and

LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.handlePacket[liverepeater/_definst_/streamname.stream_320x180_150]: Fragment duration greater than suggested range of 1-4 seconds. Adjust keyframe interval accordingly: Fragment durations: [10.0,10.0,10.0]
    These entries occur ten seconds after the switch, according to the logs, and this stream is created using a transrate.xml file.

On the edge, I see:

LiveMediaStreamReceiver.doWatchdog: streamTimeout: Resetting connection
    , followed by many rows with

CupertinoStreamerLiveRepeaterReceiver.addVideoData[2]: java.lang.NullPointerException

I do have sendOriginalTimecodes set to true in the origin Application.xml.

I found a forum post with this problem but it apparently was fixed by upgrading to the latest version (they were on 2.x).

Thanks,

Grant
    Last edited by grantk; 02-07-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast