Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EC2 & S3 content access problems

Default EC2 & S3 content access problems

Hello,

We have been working with Wowza for EC2 and would like to source our video content from our Amazon S3 account. So far, we have been unsuccessful in getting private content to play. I have followed several different pieces of documentation/forum threads/etc. to get this working, but to no avail. The error we are receiving is "Failed to play amazons3/XXXX/XXXX.mp4; stream not found."

Under one set of instructions, you are instructed to use S3FS, which I successfully configured and can access via the filesystem, but am not able to play any of the content as I don't know exactly how to "call" the content URL/Path. In another set of instructions, you are instructed to edit the MediaCache.xml file and enter your Amazon security credentials for S3 private content access. I performed this edit and restarted Wowza, but no luck. This brings up a question of the use of startup packages which is also where this change was mentioned. Do I have to use a startup package and restart the server with the MediaCache.xml file set up with our credentials, or can I just edit the MediaCache.xml file already in place in the /conf directory and restart the server to have the changes take??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

<steve>

Hello Steve,
    By default the vods3 feature is configured with S3 authorization off which means that the content must be publicly available. Look on page 19 of the Wowza Media Server for EC2 User's Guide for instructions for streaming non-publicly available content. This guide has been updated for the latest 3.0.4 AMIs.

-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks, but maybe I didn't quite explain properly. We have gone through that portion of the document and made the changes as instructed, but it is still not able to play the content from our S3 bucket. Now, in that same paragraph it asks to unzip the startup package and modify the MediaCache.xml file, then rezip and use as the startup package. This file already exists in the /conf directory and I modified that and restarted the server. Are you saying that this won't work and that I *have* to use the modified file in the startup package?

Thanks!

<steve>

Hello Steve,
    Which version AMI are you using? The 3.0.4 version AMIs support streaming from S3 for non-public content with those changes in tuning/MediaCache.xml.

-Lisa

Lisa,

I am using WowzaMediaServer-s3-lickey-3.0.4-x86_64 (ami-d1184194). I terminated the instance I had running and went ahead and modified the default package to include our AWS identifiers and started a new instance of the same version. I'm hoping that this will get us a bit farther. I will update this thread on my findings... Thank you.

Hi Lisa,

Well I created the new instance EXACTLY per the docs, used the modified default package with our AWS credentials entered in MediaCache.xml, and still no luck. Any further help you can give me is appreciated. Thank you.

<steve>

Steve,
    This should work with either devpay or lickey license. With the lickey AMIs, the instance is initially started using a temporary license key and you need to replace this key with a valid Wowza Media Server 3 monthly, daily or standard perpetual license key. If you are using a devpay AMI, then it is not necessary to change the license key. Please send [install-dir]/conf and logs directory to ticket #23209 for a closer look.

-Lisa

I am wanting to access private objects using AWS S3 documentation

http://www.wowza.com/resources/Wowza...UsersGuide.pdf

on page 19 are asked to use MediaCache (tuning/MediaCache.xml)

where I can download this. zip?

I need to buy it?

Similar S3 content access problem with Wowza 3.0.5 and DevPay AMI. Read everything, tried everything. If the problem has been resolved, would appreciate an update with the solution. Thanks.

Last edited by rrlanham; 03-22-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast