Wowza Community

Apple iOS Acceptance Team rejecting Wowza server media streams

I had Apple run the media validation tool for me yesterday. I have separate issues for my live and on-demand streams. This is causing rejection by Apple’s acceptance team. I have been led to believe this is being introduced by Wowza. Thanks in advance for any help.

These are the errors being reported by Apple’s tool:

On-Demand:

media_1.ts?wowzasessionid=1276328531:

WARNING: Unable to read video timestamps in track 0; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

WARNING: Unable to read decode timestamps in track 0; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

WARNING: Unable to read video timestamps in track 1; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

WARNING: Unable to read decode timestamps in track 1; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

Live:

Playlist Validation:

Error: (-12642:-12312) Media segment doesn’t match - sequence 16 --> media_16.ts?wowzasessionid=1765170611

Hello egmanred,

Take a look at these articles and the associated threads:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-the-apple-media-stream-validator-tool-mediastreamvalidator

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-create-apple-app-store-compliant-streams

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-add-resolution-and-codec-metadata-to-ios-streams

Some more info about your setup may be helpful. e.g. OS, Java, Wowza versions and how you’re doing your encoding, codec, keyframe interval, etc…

The specifics of this problem are as follows:

The mediastreamvalidator is throwing this error when the first frame of a segment has a PTS (presentation time stamp) of zero. When we stream video on demand content we always start the first segment with a PTS value of zero. We confirmed with Apple that this is a valid PTS value and that the mediastreamvalidator tool should be updated to no longer throw this warning message when this occurs. I guess I would explain this to Apple upon resubmission of your application to the AppStore.

Charlie

Thanks. We’ve resubmitted. We will see.

Hi Eggmanred,

I wonder if your submission was successful despite the warnings issues by the Media Validation Tool?

Hi Inspiring,

Have you received the same warnings with the most recent version of the Media Validation Tool?

Hi Randall,

Yes I have received the same warning with the Media Validation Tool just downloaded.

Below is the comment from one of the staff at Apple @baleighsdad:

"I’m pretty sure that your app will not be rejected for this reason. The requirements are that you have (if you want to run over cellular), a variant stream that is less than 64Kbps.

However, I’m not sure where Wowza got their information; I don’t recommend using a 0 PTS in the first segment, and have said many times that this isn’t a good idea. Our own tools using a starting PTS of the equivalent of 10 seconds, to avoid wrap."

To avoid possible issues with our submission, I am going to use maybe just Apache2.

Hi Randall.

1. The validation is what generated the results above.

2. 64 Kbps minimum stream is not an issue. Was implemented previously and is not failing acceptance.

3. Do not believe this is applicable to the issue above but good info.

I will add additional information as soon as possible. Thanks for the help. I need it!

Okay, that helps. Is Apple fairly responsive to Wowza bug submittals? Thanks.

Lisa,

I assume you are talking about the VOD warnings above. (There is a live error also, but I think I might have solved that one by changing the key frame interval.)

On-Demand:

media_1.ts?wowzasessionid=1276328531:

WARNING: Unable to read video timestamps in track 0; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

WARNING: Unable to read decode timestamps in track 0; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

WARNING: Unable to read video timestamps in track 1; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

WARNING: Unable to read decode timestamps in track 1; this may be due to not having a key frame in this segment.

This is a transcode using Microsoft Expressions 4. We are using the h264 baseline profile with a video bitrate of 291 and AAC audio of 32. I believe the frame rate is set to be the same as the source (30 fps) and the key frame interval is 4 seconds, which I think is the default.

Thanks.

Thanks. We’ve resubmitted. We will see.

Hi Inspiring,

Have you received the same warnings with the most recent version of the Media Validation Tool?

Hello,

These warnings are occuring when the first segment has a timestamp of 0. We have filed this bug against the media validator tool with Apple.

-Lisa

Hello,

Apple responded quickly to our message to them saying they would investigate. We have followed Apple’s process and have filed a RADAR bug. There are not problems with the Wowza streams, but the media validator tool is throwing these warnings. I realize this situation poses a problem for you and we will post again with any new information. As of today, there is no update to our ticket with Apple. If you could share details about how you are using Wowza with your app or any other relevant information that might help with their investigation, we can add it to our ticket with Apple.

-Lisa