Thread: Buffering latency between origin and edge servers

Default Buffering latency between origin and edge servers

During testing a live stream using a liverepeater origin/edge setup, I'm finding occasionally very high latency (upwards of 10 seconds) between the origin and edge servers.

I'm thinking of experimenting with the liverepeater-edge-lowlatency stream type. What is the difference in resource consumption of this stream type compared to a standard liverepeater-edge stream?

I don't have exact numbers but the lowlatency sub-types do add overhead. To get an actual idea you could use the Wowza load test tool to compare. You have to write to test@wowza.com to get that. There is a document to sign and return.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply.

One other question; while testing I am experiencing what seems to be variable buffering between origin and edge - in other words the latency between the origin and edge server seems to get progressively higher over time. There is no audible buffering/gaps but there does seem to be a lot of variability.

I don't need super low-latency, just consistently under 5 seconds for example would be fine, but I'm finding it difficult to achieve. Any ideas?

Liverepeater adds latency and some variables, esp. the network between edge and origin. It might help to use MediaCaster Stream Monitor on the edge, which will reset liverepeater streams as necessary, and follow the Low Latency Live Streaming guide:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....re-to-playback

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....onitorAdvanced

Richard