Thread: Advice Needed Please

Default Advice Needed Please

Hope someone can give me a little advice. I'm in the process of setting up a website that records and play's back 30 second video resume's. We're thinking of using wowza for the media server. The site will be built on its own dedicated server but ideally we'd like to save / store all the videos on an Amazon S3 storage account in buckets. I noticed you can use wowza on Amazon's EC2 service. Its something i know little about, other than its basically scalable cloud computing. I've had a good look on amazons aws site, but its difficult to work out exactly what EC2 services we'd be using (for costings).

Can someone tell me the advantages of

1. Installing wowza on EC2 and then pushing videos to S3 (is it just a case of its easier to scale up?)

2. Installing wowza on our dedicated server and then pushing the videos to S3. If we installed on dedicated server and the site growth was big and it becomes very busy we this cause issues in terms of speed etc? i guess this comes down to server spec?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1). Yes, the advantages to having Wowza EC2 is that scaling is easy to do and Wowza is pre-installed for you.
    This means little configuration required for standard applications, however data transfer can get expensive when getting into the higher numbers.

2). What you said there is correct but you wont have to pay as much in data transfer if you used your own server,
    I found the minimum spec for Wowza for you, wasn't that easy to find to be honest.

System Requirements

Minimum recommended production hardware

CPU: Single Quad Core, 3.00 GHz or better
    RAM: 4GB
    Disk: 2 or more in RAID 0 (striping)
    Network: 1Gb Ethernet

Supported operating systems

Windows® (XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003 & 2008)
    Linux (all distributions)
    Mac® OS

Java (required)
    Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 or greater or Java Development Kit (JDK) 6 or greater

Hope this answered your questions.