Thread: Best way to discover source of latency?

Default Best way to discover source of latency?

I have Wowza tuned for low latency, as per the instructions, but I'm getting about 5 seconds of latency on a screensharing app, and I'm not sure if it's coming from the client app, Wowza, the server, or possibly even the client OS. Driving me nuts. :-)

Can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to pinpoint where the latency is coming from?

I need to reduce it to about 1-2 seconds max, and it needs to be stable. Right now, the latency is a stable 5 seconds when running the client app on Ubuntu, but it grows over time on Windows. It's written in Java, so not sure why it would be doing that.

Anyway, I'm kind of a newbie to live streaming, so I'm not sure about the best way to go about debugging it. Any pointers would be awesome.

You can try various methods of systematic troubleshooting. For example:

1. Run Wowza, and your sharing app, and your viewer all on the same computer. (it might look weird) But, this would eliminate network latency.
    2. You can try two computers on the same lan.
    3. You can use an existing desktop sharing program such as VLC to take your sharing app out of the equation.

Also, take a look at this guide:

Screen capture may be a low frame rate, which affects playback in Flash, as noted in the article.

Thanks Rrlanham. I was also playing with the key frame. Level 3.0

i just changed the keyframe down to 2 and it matchs up, when i put on it 5 it doesnt, does that make sense?
    Last edited by mixmaster; 03-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.

If that works, stick with it.