Thread: Logging query

Default Logging query

Hi,

I've been a proud user of Wowza for a long time now but have zero knowledge of Java

In any case, I've been trying to query the Wowza server every minute to make sure my streams are working using RTMPdump. I've got check_logfiles (nagios plugin) reading the wowzamediaserver_error.log file and it notifies me of any problems.

The issue I am having is that wowzamediaserver_error.log only seems to log cupertino streams errors.

Now my question is, how can I get it to also log RTMP streams errors and RTSP?

The whole point of running rtmpdump is to make sure that the error log gets updated with a missing rtmp stream...

I'm sure there's a simple solution to my problem, but as I said I'm inexperienced in Java so I don't understand the modules at all... (maybe this is a hint for me to start learning Java....)

Thanks

Hi
    If you are looking for a specific event then you need to track down exactly what you are looking for.

For example,
    If you are looking for "PLAY" and "STOP" with rtmp this is not "connect" and "Disconnect".

What exactly are you looking for when you say "Working"?

Jason

Hi Jason,

I simulated an error by connecting to a non existent stream. If I do this using the http protocol I will get an entry in the error log saying Stream not found. But when I do this using the rtmp protocol, there isn't an entry added to the error log.

With working, I mean that the rtmp feed coming in isn't dead. Wowza will only broadcast a stream which exists from the encoder side, and so if the stream is running and I get a good response the log won't be updated and I won't get notified. However if the stream is down, an error will be added to the log and I will be notified of this

With Flash RTMP it is okay to subscribe to a stream that has not been published yet. The player can listen to NetStream and NetConnection notifications in NetStatusEvent handlers, as JW Player (for example) does and disconnect in this case, but if the player stays connected until the stream it is subscribed to is published, it will begin playback then. RTMP client with a NetConnection and NetStream(s) are much different than other client types that only have a Session.

Richard

So there's no way for me to log rtmp errors using the logging feature?...

You can log any message you want, and you can see if a stream is being published:

if (!appInstance.getPublishStreamNames().contains(streamName))
    {
    	getLogger().info("Stream " + streamName + " is not live ");
    }
    Richard

How would I got about adding that? Where exactly should I insert that?

I'm sorry but as I said I have zero knowledge of Java...

The Wowza IDE is what you need to build Wowza Modules:
    http://www.wowza.com/media-server/developers#wowza-ide

And take a look at the ServerSideModules example that ships with Wowza in the examples folder, and the examples here:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....d-code-samples

Richard

I am familiar with using Wowza IDE as I have had to make custom modules, but I had no clue what the code itself meant and the way it was set up. As such I don't understand where this line you gave me should be inserted and how it should be used.

Sorry for the bother...

Here is a more specific example for your requirement

http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthread.php?12965#4

Richard