Thread: Checking Security Features after Server Move and patch

Default Checking Security Features after Server Move and patch

Hi,

I moved to a new server and patched Wowza to 3.0.5. Now I'm concerned my security features are not working.

My Application is using the Secure Token and Hotlink Denial Modules. I tried removing the SecureTokenSharedSecret in my Application.xml file, but my videos still play. This makes me think something is wrong.

What is the best way to test if these Modules are working correctly?

Thanks!
    triple

Take a look at the access and error logs for clues. You can start Wowza in stand-alone (/bin/startup.bat) to see log output in real-time in the console, which is very helpful to debug such problems.

Richard

Richard,

Thank you for the reply. If something in the logs is not working correctly, what should I be looking for? The video is playing, I'm just not sure it's being secured.

Also, is there something I can change in the Application.xml file or in my playlist.xml file to try and break the connection, which would show me the security features are actually working?

If I remove the SecureTokenSharedSecret in the Application.xml file and the video still plays, doesn't that mean something is wrong?

Thanks,
    triple

You look for log output regarding security. Watch in the console. You have set this up before, so take a look at the logs and/or the console in startup mode, it is usually obvious. If you can't figure it out, zip up conf and logs folders and send them to support@wowza.com. Include a link to this thread for reference.

Richard

Thanks Richard,
    I will report back what I find.
    triple

That worked. I was able to see that I had not loaded the wms plugin collection. Thank you for the help!

One more tip for anyone reading this. If you're using JWPlayer, an easy way to test the hotlinkdenial is to use their setup wizard. You can build a player on their page which can call your video, and then you can test it on their page to see if it connects. If hotlinkdenial is set up right, it won't be able to connect.

http://www.longtailvideo.com/support...r-setup-wizard

Great! Thanks for the update

Richard