Thread: Centos 6.2 VPS configuration suggestions

Default Centos 6.2 VPS configuration suggestions

Hi,
    I'm trying to setup a VPS running Centos 6.2. The VPS has 24 virtual CPU's and 4G total RAM. This is 64 bit OS.
    I have installed Wowza 3.0.5 and ORacle Java 1.7.0_03 64 bit.
    Wowza starts but if I try to play the sample.mp4 it plays for about 15 seconds then freezes.
    The Wowza server output show out of memory.
    The top command show wowza using 11.6 G of virtual space.
    I had a quick look through the Performance Tuning document and reduced the PoolSize in the HandlerThreadPool section to 20 and got it to play the sample.mp4.
    I currently have one AXIS IP Camera working but the plan is to have up to 9 AXIS IP cameras feeding into the nDVR and recording to mp4. The number of viewing streams would be average of 2 per camera stream with a max of 4.

Any ideas on if this configuration is anywhere near enough for what I'm trying to do?

Hi
    I take it the guide you looked at was this one?,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ormance-Tuning

What have you set for this:
    [install-dir]/bin/setenv.sh/ (Linux, Mac OSX and Solaris)

JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx3000M"

Try lowering this to say 2500M or 2000M and see if you can play sample.mp4

Did you change both PoolSizes TransportThreadPool and HandlerThreadPool?

The added math isn't required in this link but,
    HandlerThreadPool 60x [total-core-count]
    TransportThreadPool 40x [total-core-count]

Jason

Thanks for the response Jason,
    The numbers you gave for HandlerThreadPool and TransportThreadPool didn't help. I still got out of memory errors.
    In the end I set the PoolSize for both to 20 and set JAVA_OPTS to -Xmx1200M and now that seems to be working. But I dont have much idea of how far this will scale before I run out of memory again.

What I would like to find out is:

1. What is the relationship of these thread pools to client streams. For example, with the settings I have, how many browser clients can be viewing a live dvr stream?

2. Where can I find more information on the configuration parameters of VHost.xml? What they do, how they effect memory use etc.

Some example use cases would be useful as well.

Cheers,
    Jo

You shouldn't be getting out of memory errors. 24 CPUs seems a bit of an overkill to me. For 36 streams, you would be fine with 1 regular CPU. For your small number of streams you will be fine with a heap of 1200MB or lower.

Are you running any custom addons that might be responsible for the out of memory issue?

Any Wowza console/log errors you can post?

Regarding your questions, there is some info in this thread: http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...portThreadPool

There is also a configuration reference in the /documentation folder where Wowza is installed

Richard

Thanks Richard,
    I am running on a VPS provided by oxxus.net. I'm using Wowza 3.0.5 out of the box with no changes other than setting the Java heap to 1200M. If I leave all VHost.xml setting as delivered the server starts up but connecting via the streammanager link on port 8086 doesn't fully load the page and I cannot start the three streams from the cameras. I have connected using Jconsole and in the summary tab is has the following:

Current heap size:****44,747 kbytes
    Maximum heap size:*1,092,288 kbytes
    Committed memory:*63,360 kbytes
    Pending finalization:*0 objects
    Garbage collector:*Name = 'PS MarkSweep', Collections = 7, Total time spent = 0.497 seconds
    Garbage collector:*Name = 'PS Scavenge', Collections = 219, Total time spent = 5.045 seconds

Operating System:*Linux 2.6.32-042stab045.1
    Architecture:*amd64
    Number of processors:*24
    Committed virtual memory:*12,857,068 kbytes
    Total physical memory:*4,194,304 kbytes
    Free physical memory:*2,845,888 kbytes
    Total swap space:*********0 kbytes
    Free swap space:*********0 kbytes

Notice the Commited virtual memory is 12G

Another point of interest, both the top and free commands tell me that there is over 1.3G free memory in the machine. I can run other linux command line commands but something as simple as java -version fails with a SEGV. If I shutdown wowza, everything works again.

I'm thinking of moving the wowza server to another machine. If I shutdown the current server and startup on a new host will I get charged for 2 instances on my monthly licenses? I'm not quite clear of if the counting is down based on concurrent running servers or distinct hosts.

Thanks,
    Jo

Jo,

If they are not running at the same time, you will only be charge for one. And there is some overlap tolerance, about an hour I think but am not certain.

Richard

Jo,

Can you update us, what doesn't work currently?

Can you restart Wowza, run through tests of what you are trying to do, then zip up conf folder and current access and error logs and send them

Update us on what doesn't work, what you tested as reflected in the log, and include a link to this forum thread for refernce.

Richard