Thread: Intercepting client requests for streams

Default Intercepting client requests for streams

In my application, I want iPad users to watch video that is originally from an RTSP stream.

The cleanest way to do this on wowza is to start the stream in stream manager, and from there its just a matter of loading the appropriate stream on the client's iPad.

But!

If I only want to start the stream a few seconds before a user attempts a connection I have two choices:

1) start the stream manager. This kinda sucks because now the stream won't die off when the last client leaves.

2) some how start the stream the same way a client request would (meaning it would die off after the last client left)

Anyone have any ideas about how to kickstart a stream with the same behaviour as a client request? This would make my life less hell (one of my clients got excited about our beta product and promptly bought a crap load of iPad 2s!!!)

There isn't any practical way around the requirement to start MediaCaster streams in StreamManager for MediaCaster streams and HTTP clients.

Richard

I have found that if I start the stream via the stream manager, I can very quickly request the ios stream. I am ok with doing that, as we have a web framework that can manage the kickstarting the stream.

Are there any good code examples for listing all clients and what streams they are watching (server side code)? If I check periodically to see if a stream has no clients, I can then turn it off. Voila! rtsp VOD with iOS support!

Thanks!

Take a look at the connectioncounts HTTPProvider, which is built-in to Wowza:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....e-Server-Stats

Richard

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the info! It's going to be way cleaner and easier to just use the connectioncounts to track when a stream no longer has clients associated, and can be removed.

One thing to note, since a cupertino stream can be initiated quite quickly after a the rtsp source has been consumed by wowza, wouldn't it make sense to add some sort of "hinting" to a stream to allow wowza to treat a cupertino request the same as an rtmp or rtsp request?

Or is it a architectural thing in wowza that would add messiness unnecessarily?

Thanks!

Wowza needs a little lead time to start packetizing, is the issue. There isn't a practical way around this. If your stream has a 1 second key frame interval and you set cupertinoChunkDurationTarget at 1000 (1 second), you can decrease latency to ~3 seconds

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rameters-(iOS)

Richard