Wowza Community

Frame Rate Transcoding

We use IP cameras that are usually on limited bandwidth connections (usually only 1~4 frames per second). Knowing that Flash RTMP players require at least 60 frames before streaming begins we usually see about 40~60 seconds of latency in the camera which makes PTZ control virtually impossible. It would be really nice to have a frame rate transcoder capability that would allow the RTSP H.264 stream from the camera at 1~4 frames per second be transcoded up to 30 frames per second (obviously duplicating frames multiple times) to allow the RTMP requirement of 60 frames to be achieved. This would result in only a 2 second delay (plus any buffering time) and thus decrease the latency to something more manageable for PTZ control.

Love the product and keep up the great work!

I’m not sure if you can increase frame rate. If you have 4 frames per second as input, how you would you increase that? Maybe VLC:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-vlc-as-a-live-stream-encoder-with-wowza-media-server-mpeg-ts

Richard

We will consider this feature for a future release but it is not possible with the current implementation.

Charlie

My thought was to simply copy the frame (repeat the frame) multiple times before the next frame is to be displayed. For example, if you have 3 frames a second as input and you want to increase that to 30 frames per second for the output then the transcoder would repeat each frame 10 times. I don’t think it would be that complicated.

Steve

Thanks Charlie. This feature will really help to reduce latency in streaming especially on low bandwidth connections. Hope the consideration makes it into a future release soon. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work!