Thread: Recording in 2 hour chunks

Default Recording in 2 hour chunks

Hey all,

We have a bunch of cameras that are on 24x7 and I would like to record them in 2 hour chunks. After say 48 hours I would like the old media to fall off and no longer be available as to prevent the hard drive from filling up.

Is this something that is possible?

You can use the Live Stream Record module and configure to overwrite an existing file and specify other parameters.

If you want to record a live stream while users simultaneously play, pause, resume and rewind, you can use Wowza nDVR configured for ArchiveStrategy "delete" and a WindowDuration set to "7200" (value is set in seconds). Take a look at the nDVR tutorial.

The only problem with that module is that we will have to send commands to the system every 2 hours for each stream. So if we want to record in 2 hour chunks and keep it for 48 hours, every 2 hours I'll need to send 100 stop commands for 100 feeds, 100 start commands for 100 feeds and then go through and clean up the old files that are 2 days old... Unless I can find a way to number them in such a way that Wowza can overwrite them.

I can probably do file cleanup using a 3rd party app. If there was a way to tell Wowza to only record for 2 hours, or maybe just chunk the video at 2GB or something like that, then we would be set. Any automatic way to make that work?

Nothing automatic like that, no. Sorry.

Last edited by rrlanham; 03-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.