Wowza Community

HTML5 Streaming

Hello,

How do I stream to HTML5 through wowza? I don’t mean the Iphone. I mean normal browser like Chrome.

Do you have any configuration examples or any samples that work ? I can see IPhone examples but not the normal browser based HTML5 examples. Please advice.

Thanks.

Hi

As far as I’m aware no web browser supports HTML5 playback…

Have you had this working in the past?

Have you had this through another server working but can’t get it working through Wowza?

Jason

Hi,

To share my experience,

To play your stream on Windows browser, use HDS stream (Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming) with OSMF player.

To play on Mac with Safari browser, use HLS and HTML5 video tag.

IMHO, the question should not be asked to WOWZA, but the browser and operating system.

Regards

Ans

Sorry to join in late - am I right in understanding that mac with safari browser doesn’t play HLS as genuine HTML5 video in the browser, but uses the apple player to play the video instead?

At present Wowza you can only playback a cupertino stream from Wowza in iOS devices or Safari on Mac OSX with HTML5 video tag.

Richard

Ronnie,

WebRTC support in Wowza is planned. I do not have more info or time frame, but possibly in the upcoming Wowza 4 version.

Richard

And here is a very recent breakdown of the HTML5 landscape from JW Player that you might find interesting:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/html5/

Richard

got my answer here : HTML5 Support for video playback

. But it’s sad that wowza doesn’t support HTML5 tags on the browser. Almost everywhere I look, I see wowza’s advertisement on the internet. It would be nice if you could keep the technology cutting edge too. wowza is certainly good but this is not the end. Please support HTML5.

the problem is there’s not yet an official standard for dealing with video in HTML5. Different browsers do it differently. It’s really annoying.

What you need to do is just simply use a player capable of working in HTML5 and point it back at Wowza. I use JWPlayer for this.

–Chris

To Richard as well as the developers of Wowza.

You guys needs to begin support of html5 streaming.

HTML5 is absolutely mature enough, and all major browsers supports this:

Can we agree that we have enough device/browser support to enable streaming to HTML5?

I would like to know what Wowza is planning regarding HTML5 playback, and when we can expect to offer HTML5 playback for our customers.

Sincerely

Ronnie

Movii Network

The big problem really isn’t the HTML5 bit… but the fact that the browsers all support a different video (and sometimes audio) codec to do it. Really frustrating that this pissing match between the two camps had to happen. (WebM vs h.264). Makes life all around more difficult. :frowning:

–Chris

I don’t know what you mean by no browser supports HTML5 playback.

Youtube provides viewing videos without Flash through HTML5. I need to stream my live video to HTML5 similar to that

thanks

No, they allow viewing the video through HTML5.

If you’re not aware,please join the HTML5 trial and try it for yourself : http://www.youtube.com/html5

But now I need a solution to stream to HTML5 clients. Can wowza help me do this?

got my answer here : HTML5 Support for video playback

. But it’s sad that wowza doesn’t support HTML5 tags on the browser. Almost everywhere I look, I see wowza’s advertisement on the internet. It would be nice if you could keep the technology cutting edge too. wowza is certainly good but this is not the end. Please support HTML5.

Any updates for some real html5 support for live streams from wowza? I heard that the html5 spec has become quite mature to support live streams. If this is true, can I rely on wowza to stream to html5 clients?

Thanks

Still waiting for the browsers to catch up in terms of Live / Adaptive streaming:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/html5/

The Safari / HLS/ iOS combination plus OSX is still the most mature in this area.

What others are you seeing/hearing about, in terms of maturity?

Daren

HTML5 has it’s quirks, but I CAN’T WAIT to ditch Flash! Looking forward to all of this coming together.

Hi

I may be wrong but I think Youtube has client detection that allows different devices to connect and plays the file with the appropriate player.

Jason

No, they allow viewing the video through HTML5.

If you’re not aware,please join the HTML5 trial and try it for yourself : http://www.youtube.com/html5

I realize this is an old thread, but I am looking up streaming abilities with Wowza 3 and Chrome. I came across this and I felt there was confusion that should be clarified.

:YouTube allows for the HTML5 video tag in Chrome:

This is true. However, YouTube does NOT do real time streaming. It is doing progressive download. This means that anyone can save the original source video file from within their browser without having to have the video playback in full. For those who think it is working, YouTube (Google) does a great job of obfuscating the code to actually load the video file. For instance, there is use of special repeater server side scripts that ingest bits of a file at a time and spit it out to the browser. This “repeater” file pushes a header value to make the browser think it is, in fact, a video file even though it is a script file (like PHP, or ASP).

:Wowza is behind on technology, just look at YouTube:

Wowza does not use the same technology that YouTube uses. How YouTube pushes / presents video content is not actually real time streaming (see above). Wowza DOES do real time streaming.

That is, there are two technologies in use to present content: progressive download (which is a data stream, but not what is done with people use the term “streaming”, it actually loads the entire video as a whole); and real time streaming (this is what most think of as streaming, which is sending a small packet of information, waiting for it to get close to finish playing, then send the next packet while removing the first, and so on).

At present Wowza you can only playback a cupertino stream from Wowza in iOS devices or Safari on Mac OSX with HTML5 video tag.

Richard

We need to get as much as we can out of flash hell.

I will leave Wowza streaming services and encourage everyone I know in the development community to do the same if you do not prioritize HTML5 playback for desktop browsers.

Maturity:

Browser | HTML5 | Flash

Chrome [x] [x]

Firefox [x] [x]

IE 9/10 [x] [x]

IE 6/7/8 [ ] [x]

Safari [x] [x]

Opera [x] [x]

iOS [x] [ ]

Android [x] [ ]

Can we agree that we have enough device/browser support to enable streaming to HTML5?

I would like to know what Wowza is planning regarding HTML5 playback, and when we can expect to offer HTML5 playback for our customers.

Sincerely

Ronnie

Movii Network

Hi Ronnie,

My name is Jamie Sherry and I am in Product Management here at Wowza Media Systems. I thought I would take this opportunity to expand on what has been said already by Richard, Daren, and others about HTML5 video and support within Wowza Media Server.

As you know, HTML5 video continues continues to evolve and adoption is growing. Even though there is broader support in web browsers today than in the past, fragmentation and limitations continue to exist. In general, the operating system, web browser, file container, file codec, and delivery method must all be considered carefully when using HTML5 video for content delivery across multiple devices.

With that said, Wowza Media Server actually supports HTML5 “streaming” as much as HTML5 supports “streaming” today. This includes:

• On-demand content distribution

• HTTP adaptive bit rate (ABR) streaming

• Apple HLS on iOS devices and Mac OS using the Safari web browser

• Live content distribution

• HTTP adaptive bit rate (ABR) streaming

• Apple HLS on iOS devices and Mac OS using the Safari web browser

Wowza Media Systems believes strongly in the importance of standards and supporting emerging technologies for online video consumption. We continue to watch HTML5 video very closely and are hopeful that next version (HTML5.1) will include broader support for HTTP adaptive bit rate streaming as is currently being proposed. Like other technologies currently supported in Wowza Media Server, this one will be added if and when the timing make sense, and of course decisions are made with careful consideration for the needs of all of our valuable customers like yourself.

I hope this helps. If you would like to discuss further, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Jamie

We need to get as much as we can out of flash hell.

I will leave Wowza streaming services and encourage everyone I know in the development community to do the same if you do not prioritize HTML5 playback for desktop browsers.

Maturity:

Browser | HTML5 | Flash

Chrome [x] [x]

Firefox [x] [x]

IE 9/10 [x] [x]

IE 6/7/8 [ ] [x]

Safari [x] [x]

Opera [x] [x]

iOS [x] [ ]

Android [x] [ ]

Sincerely

Ronnie

Movii Network

Jamie,

can you please explain in something like “wowza HTML5 streaming” table:

1. which HTML5 streaming features are already implemented in wowza?

2. which HTML5 streaming features are currently planed for wowza 3.x and which for 4.x?

3. which HTML5 streaming features are not yet implemented for some other non-wowza reasons (like missing standards, browser support, etc) and what you expect in the future about this features implementation plans?

Best regards,

David

With that said, Wowza Media Server actually supports HTML5 “streaming” as much as HTML5 supports “streaming” today. This includes: