Thread: Need Advice On Selecting AMI's and Setting Up Scaling Solution

Default Need Advice On Selecting AMI's and Setting Up Scaling Solution

Greetings!

We are producing an upcoming live-formatted wine and food show and plan on using Wirecast with EC2. My background is animation and video, not Wowza server administration. We've done a great deal of promoting the show [our first air date is Sunday, March 4th] and there is really no way of telling how many concurrent viewers will be logging on to watch.

I have successfully launched small instances and streamed from Wirecast, so I get that part. However, we are not sure how to set up a scaling solution to accommodate as many people as may view the broadcast. I've seen a lot of responses in this forum that points folks to user guides, but they quickly get to techie for my simple mind. I need advice that is broken down into layman's terms, that I can easily understand without a lot of tech jargon.

I've heard the term 'load balancing'. I don't know if that is what we need but ultimately what I am looking for is a solution that will scale and accommodate as many users that will watch our stream.

If there isn't a simple solution, I would be willing to pay the right person a consultation fee to help set us up. Hopefully it won't require that and with some guidance, I can get this going on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi
    First of all I'll need to know the following:
    1.) An estimate of concurrent connections that you would like to get
    2.) The bitrate of the stream in which you are broadcasting to Wowza

The Amazon EC2's come in different sizes and the rule of thumb for performance is this:

Small - 150mbps
    Large - 250mbps
    X-Large - 350mbps

With a 512kbps stream you are looking at almost doubling each number and only having one machine.

If you estimate that the number of concurrent connections will be higher than 650 then it will be best to use the load balancer across 2 or more servers (depending on the numbers).

The load balancer guide can be found here,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ncing-solution

and a redirect limitation guide here,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....mitConnections

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi
    First of all I'll need to know the following:
    1.) An estimate of concurrent connections that you would like to get
    2.) The bitrate of the stream in which you are broadcasting to Wowza

The Amazon EC2's come in different sizes and the rule of thumb for performance is this:

Small - 150mbps
    Large - 250mbps
    X-Large - 350mbps

With a 512kbps stream you are looking at almost doubling each number and only having one machine.

If you estimate that the number of concurrent connections will be higher than 650 then it will be best to use the load balancer across 2 or more servers (depending on the numbers).

The load balancer guide can be found here,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ncing-solution

and a redirect limitation guide here,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....mitConnections

Jason
    Thank you Jason. We would like to set up two different streams - one for higher bandwidth and one for lower. We are open to recommendations on what kbps to set up. I would like to plan for upwards of 1500 users, but could be as few as 50. It's really an unknown at this time, but want to be prepared if the audience ramps up. If I understand, we'd likely want to load balance over 2 X-Larger servers to be safe?

Thank you for the links. However, the text in the guides are out of range of my server administration experience. Would you be available for direct consultation today via phone. I'm happy to pay you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by bgolden View Post
    Thank you Jason. We would like to set up two different streams - one for higher bandwidth and one for lower. We are open to recommendations on what kbps to set up. I would like to plan for upwards of 1500 users, but could be as few as 50. It's really an unknown at this time, but want to be prepared if the audience ramps up. If I understand, we'd likely want to load balance over 2 X-Larger servers to be safe?

Thank you for the links. However, the text in the guides are out of range of my server administration experience. Would you be available for direct consultation today via phone. I'm happy to pay you for your time.
    Anyone out there that can help with these questions?

Hi
    If you are in need of a consultant you can email support@wowza.com
    Ask for the list of independent consultants.

Jason