Wowza Community

Transcoder Perpetual Licence

Hi,

we wanna buy one Transcoder Perpetual Licence, and it is written “Wowza Transcoder AddOn License (2 ch.)”,

what does (2 ch) means ?

Nicolas

A Transcoder channel is one incoming stream, one source. That source stream can be transcoded/transrated to as many streams as you can and it can be repeated to edge servers.

Richard

The technical issue is that you will probably not be able to do that on one machine, as you intend, as indicated by your one perpetual license. I’m not sure if there is quantity or bulk terms for Wowza Transcoder. I don’t think there is an unlimited option, but check with sales@wowza.com

Richard

Refer to these Wowza Transcoder performance benchmark for what is reasonable to expect. Remember, as noted in the article, you have to leave some room to handle streaming.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/wowza-transcoder-performance-benchmark

Richard

Sales will follow-up on the non-technical issues.

Richard

Hi Nicolas,

it is explained nowhere about this limitation, only when we want to buy the licence…

I’m sorry to hear that our web pages didn’t provide sufficient explanation of the license options for your budgeting process.

We’re reviewing where we can make changes to highlight what each Perpetual license key offers.

Side note: for other customers who are planning budgets today, several of our billing and pricing FAQs can be reviewed by clicking on each of the “more info” buttons on http://www.wowza.com/pricing

we need something like 100 incoming streams.

does it exists a licence where incoming streams are unlimited ?

With the Transcoder AddOn Perpetual license, you can purchase and install more than one license key on a single computer system. This will increase the number of simultaneous channels that system can process. Just insert more Transcoder AddOn license keys in the Server.license file to increase the capacity.

Also, our Wowza Server 3 Monthly Edition and Daily Edition software licenses provide a flexible billing option which allows you to use exactly the number of server instances or transcoder channels your business needs each month (or day). Your servers remain in contact with our usage tracking system. At the end of the month, we review the usage records. You’re then billed for the maximum number of Transcoder channels concurrently in use during the billing period (monthly or daily). These licenses also offer the option of offering hosted streaming services for your customers.

Billing details, pricing questions, requests to resale and requests to bundle our technology all can be sent to sales@wowza.com

Yours,

John West

we need something like 100 incoming streams.

does it exists a licence where incoming streams are unlimited ?

I don’t understand why you put a limit on it…

it’s very embarrassing for us because we choose wowza as transcoder solution for our application, and it is explained nowhere about this limitation, only when we want to buy the licence…

Nicolas

We need 100 incoming streams because we can have 100 different sources (ip camera) which can be transrated in the same time for 100 different clients…

I know that 100 is maybe unattainable on one single machine, but I’m sure something like 50 transrating in the same time is possible. We already do it with 50 instances of VLC which is more expensive in processor % than Wowza without hardware accceleration…

I will ask to the sales department for more information.

thanks Richard.

Each Wowza Transcoder AddOn permits a transcode for up to two (2) incoming channels (streams) to an unlimited number of outbound streams. Multiple Wowza Transcoder AddOn Perpetual licenses can be stacked on the same server instance for additional channel capacity.

-Lisa

Does 2 Channel then mean that everytime I purchase a transcoder add-on for 1.495$ that I can transcode 2 Incoming Streams ?