Thread: A beginner's question : live streaming

Question A beginner's question : live streaming

Hello,

The university I work for has acquired Wowza Server and it seems it's a fantastic tool. So far I've been working on vod and it's looking good. We also have live events going on at the university and we want to broadcast them. So far we were using a flash thingie made by a student but we're very excited to work with Wowza, and JW Player (our flash based video player for vod).

I'm not skillful in those questions and they should appear as trivial for you but I prefer asking and looking silly now than not asking and looking silly forever.

Before testing with our cameras and all, I'm testing with my webcam. I'm using the "videochat.html" example to publish my webcam stream through the university server (not the local one I installed on my computer). So far so good it's working, and with the tutorial you provide on JWPlayer, I'm able to play the stream.

But if I the "live" application, the stream is not live. I mean if I stop the player and press play again, it start over and plays from where the stream started to broadcast, I don't see what is currently broadcasted. When I use the "videochat" application, I have what I want, the event is broadcasted live and when I stop the player and press play seconds after, I see what is currently broadcasted.

The only difference beetween the two applications, in the application.xml files, are <StreamType>live</StreamType> for "live", and <StreamType>live-lowlatency</StreamType> for "videochat". I don't think is it ? The second difference is <LiveStreamPacketizers>cupertinostreamingpacketizer,smoothstreamingpacketizer,sanjosestreamingpacket izer</LiveStreamPacketizers> fro "live" and <LiveStreamPacketizers></LiveStreamPacketizers> for "videochat". For what I understood, I thought the LiveStream Packetizers were only here to specify which devices are able to read the stream...

Sorry if I'm not clear, my english is terrible and I'm new to these live things :-)

It sounds like the StreamType is actually "default". Did you put the Application.xml in the wrong place? This is where it should be:

[wowza-install-dir]/conf/live/Application.xml

Place the file in that location, then change the StreamType to "live". You can leave the LiveStreamPacketizers empty. (They are for HTTP clients that your stream will not work in because it is Spark Video and NellyMoser audio codecs.)

Another possibility is that the Application.xml is malformed, and so your app is really using the Application.xml in the /conf folder. If that is so, you will see log output about that. It is easiest at this stage to run Wowza in stand-alone (/bin/startup.bat) mode so that you can see log output in the console.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 03-09-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Edit: This is where it should be:

[wowza-install-dir]/conf/live/Application.xml

Damn you're so right, I thought of course the Application.xml file was in the right place but it didn't ... this fixed, it's working well :-)

Thanks

Great, glad it's working. Thanks for the update.

Richard