After playing with the addon I noticed I had a problem. There's no way to remove the DVR recorded data once the stream has stopped and for copyrighted material I don't always have the rights to let it play AFTER the event itself. Now I could do things on the webserver side to changes links and such, but since its in Beta I wanted to offer some suggestions. For copyrighted content that can only be streamed live some users may walk the tightrope of DVR and need to purge this resource in an elegant fashion. My suggestion is an additional archive strategy that simply says:
- Once stream has stopped coming in (and after x amount of time in the event of bad internet from source) no new connections to DVR app can be made to restream content.
- An additional option of scrollback time would prevent people from rewatching the entire recorded material. That time could be, say, 30 seconds.
- An additional option of application timeout after end of stream could be implemented for stranglers (I stress the word optional here).
- Once at the end, user is disconnected.
- Once all users are disconnected from application then archived material is deleted.
This would allow those individuals to finish playing what they were watching as if live without abruptly cutting them off, and not allowing the video to go into VOD-land.