Thread: Adaptive bitrate, force a bitrate via HTTPProvider

Default Adaptive bitrate, force a bitrate via HTTPProvider

I read this tutorial to set up an adaptive bitrate on demand video.

Is it possible to create a Wowza Module that forces users to a certain quality, no matter what the clients requests?

I want to create a HTTPProvider that can force specific connected clients to another version of the stream/file. For instance; the client requests the 700Kbit version of a stream/file but I want to force them to watch the 500Kbit version. And if a client is watching a 700Kbit version I want to be able to switch them to the 500Kbit version seamlessly (just like Adaptive Bitrate is working now, but I want to do it serverside).

Is that possible and in what direction should I search for a solution?

The switch request has to come from the client, as far as I know, using adaptive bitrate.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    The switch request has to come from the client, as far as I know, using adaptive bitrate.

Richard
    There is no way to influence this on the server side?

It requires client instructions, because the client knows what the bandwidth availability is.

Richard

It requires client instructions, because the client knows what the bandwidth availability is.

Richard
    But there's no way to force this? Because I have a really interesting project that needs this.

It just doesn't work that way, so no, it's not possible.

Richard

Yet another drawback to current implementations of HTML5 adaptive streaming (via HLS)---as Richard says, it's all internal client behavior, which stream to switch too. You could potentially swap out the adaptive manifest passed to a <video> object with one of the HLS manifests that is "non-adaptive" and that would let you do what you want.

It just doesn't work that way, so no, it's not possible.

Richard
    Suppose you have a vod file with 3 bitrates: 250, 500, 750 kbps.

Situation is as follows:
    1. client requests 750 kbps chunks
    2. client gets 750 kbps chunks
    3. during the streaming process, we decide (for whatever reason) to change the bitrate ceiling to 500 kbps
    4. if client requests 750 kbps chunks, we send it 500 kbps chunks
    5. if client requests 250 kbps chunks, we send it 250 kbps chunks

This way we can influence the client bitrate serverside by fooling the client into thinking it received 750 kbps video, when instead it just got 500 kbps chunks.

Is this possible?
    Last edited by Scorce; 04-03-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Of course this would mean Wowza would have to be able to proactively send different chunks than were requested by the client. Does anybody know if and how this is possible?

Good brainstorming! As previously mentioned, there is not a built-in technique; it's requested by the client. If you can force your client to request only certain files in the multi-bitrate smil, that would be the way to go.

Check what happens if you delete/rename the 750k file midway through your process. (disclaimer: it will probably break)