Wowza Community

VOD over RTSP to Android Seek Problem

After searching the forums for quite a while, I could not find a solution to this problem.

We have a VOD application running through wowza. With the streams over RTSP I find that on certain android devices are unable to seek through the video at all. It seems to play fine on the various android devices, and certain ones (HTC tested a few) can seek without problems. But others will not seek at all - I don’t even see the seek request come in to the server. It is almost like the device sees it as a live stream.

The only real difference I see is in the onDescribe if I log the info from the Request message the ones that seem to work have much more in the sdp request than the ones that do not. For example the ones that do not are missing user-agent, content-encoding, bandwidth, x-network-type, and accept-encoding tags that I see with the ones that do work.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I have heard of this problem before. Is this what you are doing?:

Richard

I think this is most likely a player issue that is out of reach of Wowza to affect.

Have you tried with the Wowza sample.mp4?

Also download and test with this file:

http://www.wowza.com/_h264/BigBuckBunny_175k.mov

Richard

I don’t think there is a Wowza solution to this problem

Richard

I am not actually coding the video player for android, but it is similar yes. I have tried with the stock player on a few different devices, plus a few of the more popular video players available for them as well.

Hi Buzzsaw,

you mention a few popular video players - can you help me cause jwplayer does not do rtsp - which have you found best because i cants stand the variations in the android stock players - happy to discuss offline if better would love to pick your brain about video on android and share knowledge. Jon jon dot marsh at narcosi dot com

I am not actually coding the video player for android, but it is similar yes. I have tried with the stock player on a few different devices, plus a few of the more popular video players available for them as well.

I tried with both of those with the same results.