Wowza Community

Wowza 3.0 and VBrick Windows Media (WM) Appliance

I would like to reflect encoded Windows Media (WM) video from a VBrick appliance w/ Wowza 3.0 Is this possible?

Not without transcoding it before it gets to Wowza, into one of the supported formats. See here for a list of codecs/containers: http://www.wowza.com/media-server#specifications

Take a look at the transcode examples at the bottom of this post:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-vlc-as-a-live-stream-encoder-with-wowza-media-server-mpeg-ts

Richard

You can use the Discover Video Transcoder (DVT). This is available in several forms: a software product or hardware product, a service, or a Amazon cloud service. We often package the DVT with Wowza. The DVT can support 30 or more simultaneous live WM streams, live MPEG-2 TS or ES streams, and RTMP streams. It outputs directly to any RTMP ingest point (Wowza server, Akamai CDN, our streaming service), etc. The service is very easy to use: you get a control panel where you simply enter the ingest URL, audio/video bit rates, output resoluton, and rtmp publishing point. DVT will also output to WM, and supports RTP unicast/multicast too.

Streaming simultaneously in WM, H264/RTMP, H254/HLS, H264/RTSP has serveral advantages (not just use of existing WM infrastructure). For example, there are loads of systems that only do WM such as U-Verse so you use these sort of system to soruce in RTMP yet deliver to WM for example.

Discover Video is a Wowza partner, feel free to ping me if you want more info or viist www.discovervideo.com

Cheers,

Rich Mavro

Thx Randall … could you happen to point me to the most applicable transcoding instruction?

Rich’s suggestion is a reasonable way to get the VBrick WM encoding appliances and Wowza Media Server to work together. If you are not tied to WM or to Wowza, a couple other options are:

• Use an H.264 encoder such as VBrick’s 7000 or 9000 Series encoding appliances to stream directly to the Wowza server without a transcoder. VBrick and Wowza worked together to make sure this works well. You can stream RTMP from the VBrick encoder to the Wowza server, or use RTP with VBrick’s “Auto Unicast” feature.

• Stream directly from the VBrick WM encoding appliance to a WM reflector. You can use a server based reflector from Microsoft, or an appliance based reflector from VBrick to reflect a WM stream.

Steve

Rich’s suggestion is a reasonable way to get the VBrick WM encoding appliances and Wowza Media Server to work together. If you are not tied to WM or to Wowza, a couple other options are:

• Use an H.264 encoder such as VBrick’s 7000 or 9000 Series encoding appliances to stream directly to the Wowza server without a transcoder. VBrick and Wowza worked together to make sure this works well. You can stream RTMP from the VBrick encoder to the Wowza server, or use RTP with VBrick’s “Auto Unicast” feature.

• Stream directly from the VBrick WM encoding appliance to a WM reflector. You can use a server based reflector from Microsoft, or an appliance based reflector from VBrick to reflect a WM stream.

Steve

SteveK,

I’m working with vBrick to successfully publish video from a 7000 series H.264 encoder. I’ve been noticing RTMP UnPublish Notify messages from Wowza when using the RTMP publish method. vBrick has recommended I try the Auto-Unicast method. I’ve followed the instructions here https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-live-streaming-using-a-native-rtp-encoder-with-sdp-file but haven’t been able to stream successfully.

Would you please provide assistance?