Wowza Community

Dynamic Transcoder Overlays

I got invitation for NAB 2012 and one of the topic is “Dynamic Transcoder Overlays”.

Could anyone know what it is ?

Is it dynamically adding video into stream ?

This is about image overlays for the transcoded streams. They can be configured and/or programmed.

Richard

The configuration for overlay is in the default transrate.xml and transcode.xml templates

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-and-run-wowza-transcoder-for-live-streaming

Richard

Tim,

It should be possible to schedule with this addon when it is released. I don’t have a way to do it until then

Richard

Tim,

We’ll contact you.

Richard

Yes, I think so.

Richard

The image is being added to the video in each frame, so if it changes the overlay should change. Let me know otherwise.

Richardt

No, you have to use the Wowza Transcoder to do that. There is no plan to add overlay features that do not involve the Transcoder

Richard

I’m interested in adding a dynamic overlay on a video that will put the username on top of the video. Will this allow me to do that? I can use PHP to generate an image of the username for the current user, but I need Wowza to dynamically use the proper overlay image for the user that is currently playing the video. Will this situation be possible?

Dear Richard

I used transcoder addon to add an logo image on live stream (i used server playlist to generate live stream). I test the transcode addon by using the transrate or transcode template and i worked fine, but i can’t add image. :frowning: pl help me

Hi Salvadore

I saw in transcode template has the image overlay, so that i enabled this feature to add image

true

${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/content/wowzalogo.png

false

${ImageWidth}

${ImageHeight}

left,top

Can i do that?

Hi Dragelec,

Yes, this should work to get the Wowza logo image overlaid on your video, but if you want to use your own images, you would need to set the path to the location of your image.

And if you set the to true, you can make changes to the image and the Transcoder will update the image.

Salvadore

Hi

But you know, the image doesn’t overlay :(. Should i config something more to get this feature

The stream is transcoded. To clarify, the released Transcoder AddOn already supports overlays and can be configured through the template. The sample templates (transrate.xml, transcode.xml) templates in [install-dir]/transcoder/templates show sample configuration in the Overlays property.

Dynamic overlays is new and was demo’d at NAB. This feature is not yet available and no release date set yet. An API will be available to dynamically update the overlay - title, ticker, animated graphic.

-Lisa

The dynamic overlays feature with Wowza Transcoder AddOn was demo’d at recent trade shows and we’re collecting user input. This feature is not yet available.

-Lisa

Hi

I understand this functionality is new and for more information its best ask support@wowza.com

Jason

I understand that the dynamic overlays feature is not yet available. I’m trying to figure out the best way to handle implementing a “LIVE” bug overlay during certain hours of the day while we are pulling a live stream from an IP camera.

Is there any sort of API or code that has been created to turn an overlay on or off based on a schedule?

I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure out the easiest/best way to set things up…

I’m using the stream class scheduler to pull a live feed from the camera from 11am to 6pm each day. I call this application “streamswitch” It uses live stream record to record the ingested stream during live hours. From 6pm to 11am, it pulls and plays the recorded feed. Output stream name = stream1. A separate Application setup to transrate, pulls the stream1 via rtsp://wowzaserver.com:1935/streamswitch/stream1 and outputs the adaptive bit rate feed which I then run through a cluster of edge servers… At the moment, I have to edit the stream1.xml file in [install-folder]/transcoder/templates and change the Overlay from false to true or true to false and restart the stream using the stream manager.

There has to be an easier way… any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim

Thanks Richard. Any idea when that add-on will get released? Or is it available to beta test?

Thanks again,

Tim

Hey Richard,

This tech seems very good . But i have several questions about it. I have searched forums and didnot find exact answer or help yet. I wanna use this feature in order to add timely changed images. (seperated from module’s timer.) For example it can be a scoreboard. I can generate a jpg or png for a score. When it is updated , any chance to change also transcoded image with this updated image ? I mean when i overwrite the jpg , can module understand the difference ?

Secondly , is there any HTTPProvider to control this Dynamic Overlay ?

Any advice would be great.

Onur

With standart Wowza Transcoder Module , when the image is changed , you have to do stop/start the publishing stream to see changed image at stream. With Dynamic Transcoder Overlay you dont need to start/stop broadcasting ?

Thanx Richard,

A nice add on which will not only reduce the load on the servers to stream content but also add the water mark on fly.

Any example configuration. Is it to be done via template root or we can specify the same in application config.

Does this transcode the video or just add a layer.

I been using jwplayer to achieve the same. It would be great to move to wowza.