Wowza Community

path of .ts files and m3u8 file

Hi Experts,

I am evaluating the Wowza to stream VOD and Live content to iPhones/IPad. By reading Wowza docs, i came to know that to do HLS (HTTP Live Streaming), one only needs to have .mp4 file because on getting request from iPhone, Wowza automatically converts the .mp4 into .ts file and create .m3u8 file.

Everything is working fine as mentioned. But after the end of call, i did not find the .m3u8 file and .ts files for requested stream on hard drive that is being made/generated by Wowza.

Can anyone share where these files are saved?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi

Wowza makes these on the fly for every iOS device that connects.

Jason

That’s correct, these segments (.ts files for cupertinostreaming) are not saved to disk.

Richard

Segments are assembled in memory and sent directly to clients without being saved to disk. That is how it works at present.

This is unicast streaming, so each client is served separately whether it is HTTP, RTSP or RTMP. However Wowza has efficient ways of packetizing a live or vod stream, so Wowza is not packetizing separately for each client, but each client is served separately.

Richard

If you have a stream named “Stream1” and application named “live” it would be formed like this:

http://[wowza-address]:1935/live/Stream1/playlist.m3u8

You will also have to add “cupertinostreamingpacketizer” to the Application.xml /LiveStreamPacketizers

Richard

Hi

Have you created the streamschedule.smil file in the /content folder?

Can you show us what it looks like?, it should be similar to the one shown here,

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-schedule-streaming-with-wowza-streaming-engine-streampublisher

I recommend using the example streamschedule.smil (sample.mp4) to start with so that you know it works.

You also don’t need “cupertinostreamingrepeater,smoothstreamingrepeater,sanjosestreamingrepeater” in the your LiveStreamPacketizers.

Jason

Thanks for Reply,

Does it mean Wowza does not save content in .ts file and does not make .m3u8 file?

It’s new thing to me. Can you please share how it is happening?

As i know Wowza does trans-muxing from .mp4 file to .ts file. But new thing is that how client is accessing the segments that are not stored on the desk.

Second and most important point is that for each client request (for same content) Wowza performs trans-muxing, is it not an overhead?

What i feel, it would have been better if Wowza stores the .ts file on the disk and when second client request for same content which can be entertained without doing any trans-muxing using previously stored content?

if I have a live streamschedule.smil file corresponding to .mp4 files to stream as a channel i assume the requested .m3u8 and corresponding .ts segment would be created on the fly as well. Is this right? and what would be the correct URL for iOS to playback the playlist.m3u8?

this is my live/Aplication.xml streams section but still not working…

live

${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/content

${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/keys

cupertinostreamingpacketizer,smoothstreamingpacketizer,sanjosestreamingpacketizer,cupertinostreamingrepeater,smoothstreamingrepeater,sanjosestreamingrepeater

yes all that is correct the problem was the LiveStreamPacketizer.xml the setting for false it was set to true… this is what i changed and I also added the properties for the segmenting. this is what it looks like now…

cupertinostreamingpacketizer

Cupertino Streaming Packetizer

com.wowza.wms.httpstreamer.cupertinostreaming.livestreampacketizer.LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino

false

cupertinoChunkDurationTarget

Integer

cupertinoMaxChunkCount

Integer

cupertinoPlaylistChunkCount

Integer

cupertinoRepeaterChunkCount

Integer

All is working great now…