Wowza Community

setting up multiple live streams

Hi,

I have been trying to setup multiple live streams using one wowza instance. The application involves streaming 100 different live channels from one wowza instance.

I have written a wowza module that creates multiple live streams using startMediaCasterStream API. The data comes to the server from various encoders. So we have defined several sdp files each with its own unique set of UDP ports for video and audio.

For instance, sample sdp file is as follows:

[HTML]v=0

o=- 15211995571097108025 15211995571097108025 IN IP4 nucleus

s=Unnamed

i=N/A

c=IN IP4 127.0.0.1

t=0 0

a=tool:vlc 1.1.9

a=recvonly

a=type:broadcast

a=charset:UTF-8

m=audio 35002 RTP/AVP 96

b=RR:0

a=rtpmap:96 MP4A-LATM/22050/2

a=fmtp:96 profile-level-id=15; object=2; cpresent=0; config=400027203fc0

m=video 35000 RTP/AVP 97

b=RR:0

a=rtpmap:97 H264/90000

a=fmtp:97 packetization-mode=1[/HTML]

We have 10 such sdp files placed in content folder. Each sdp file differs from the other only in the video and audio port number. And then we have separate players on different client machines connecting to each of the sdp file.

Does creating such multiple streams create some performance impact on the wowza server? Or should we create different application (creating multiple directories live, live2, live3, etc within conf and application folder)? How do we reduce the initial buffering time? How scalable is this? Can we run 100 such sdp files at the same time? Is there any better way to do this?

Regards

Nitin

I am interested in this as well. Our needs are similar to the OP: we have about 80 streams that come in from VLC encoders in RTSP, MPEG-TS over HTTP, etc. And we want to take those incoming streams and make them available in original format as well as remuxed to HLS. We also want shortest buffering time possible.

Sorry to intrude like this. Hopefully we will get an answer :slight_smile:

Thanks!

80 or 100 incoming streams is very high regardless of how it is divided among applications and VHosts, etc. You need a late model dual quad cpu, 8g+ ram, 64bit OS/JAVA and be properly tuned

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-do-performance-tuning

Richard