Wowza Community

HTTP Streaming of MP4 files

Hello,

I’m trying to serve an MP4 file using HTTP so that I can utilize JWPlayer to stream it with HTML5. According to the JWPlayer rep I’ve been working with, their player can stream MP4 files in Chrome browser with HTML5 only (with Flash disabled). And, although I have Wowza currently configured to serve MP4 files using RTMP, I apparently don’t have it configured properly to serve via HTTP. Can someone tell me if this is possible and, if so, where I can find the specific documentation to configure this? Thanks.

Dan

Hi Dan,

See the VOD tutorial section 3.b: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-video-on-demand-streaming

“Set the HTTPStreamers property to: cupertinostreaming, smoothstreaming, sanjosestreaming”

This will enable the 3 types of HTTP streaming.

Note that the only browser I know of that supports HTML5 streaming with H.264/AAC is Safari on iOS using Cupertino. Perhaps Android 4, also.

Thanks for the reply, Randall. I had those properties set already. But I wasn’t sure if I needed to modify (not HTTPStreamers, but the one between LiveStreamPacketizer and Repeater in Application.xml) or HTTPStreamers.xml. If not, I guess the JWPlayer rep was misinformed.

The question is, does Chrome support AAC? I think it can do WebM/VP8/Ogg/Vorbis and maybe H.264. Your rep might have been transcoding into a non H.264/AAC format.

Regarding the streams. It can be confusing at first. The HTTPStreamers go in the Application.xml. See step 3 of the VOD tutorial. You need to specify the proper HTTPStreams you want to serve for VOD. For live you need both the HTTPStreamers and LiveStreamPacketizers.

Thanks again, Randall. For various reasons, I have to set this project aside for now. But I appreciate your help - it will come in handy when I get back to this later.

-Dan

The question is, does Chrome support AAC? I think it can do WebM/VP8/Ogg/Vorbis and maybe H.264. Your rep might have been transcoding into a non H.264/AAC format.

Regarding the streams. It can be confusing at first. The HTTPStreamers go in the Application.xml. See step 3 of the VOD tutorial. You need to specify the proper HTTPStreams you want to serve for VOD. For live you need both the HTTPStreamers and LiveStreamPacketizers.