Thread: Stream aimed at 55 inch screens

Default Stream aimed at 55 inch screens

We would like to stream HD quality aimed at 55 inch screen i.e full HD 1920 * 1080

Is there a limit on the EC2 platform? We can only send 1 mb when broadcasting.

What is the recommended bitrate? is 3 mb enough?

I found this explanation on the AWS forums: "Bandwidth is not really limited to a set rate. Instead different instances sizes get different I/O priorities. If no other instance is using bandwidth on your host, you can potentially get as much as the host is capable of."

See a list of I/O priorities by instance type here: http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AW...eInstanceTypes

There is not a recommended bitrate. You'll have to test and decide what quality you want. Consider using a lower resolution (1280/720 or lower) at the same bitrate. This will improve the quality of the video. Then you rely on the client device to upsample, which they can often do quite well.

Can you clarify what you mean by "can only broadcast 1mb"? You mean to the client, to Wowza?
    Last edited by randall; 04-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Default The AWS or Wowza service will not operate

We will do more test on this. But without having gone deep into this but as soon as we want to use more than 1 MB bitrate to Wowza the stream is not available.

We will do test purely using FMLE and see what we can come up with, generally we run AMI:s allowing xlarge servers.

But there must be experienced TV broadcasters that can give us a recommended bitrate to fill a big screen, we will of course test 1280/720 if that is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post
    I found this explanation on the AWS forums: "Bandwidth is not really limited to a set rate. Instead different instances sizes get different I/O priorities. If no other instance is using bandwidth on your host, you can potentially get as much as the host is capable of."

See a list of I/O priorities by instance type here: http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AW...eInstanceTypes

There is not a recommended bitrate. You'll have to test and decide what quality you want. Consider using a lower resolution (1280/720 or lower) at the same bitrate. This will improve the quality of the video. Then you rely on the client device to upsample, which they can often do quite well.

Can you clarify what you mean by "can only broadcast 1mb"? You mean to the client, to Wowza?
    Last edited by Lars_Borg; 04-10-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Yes you where correct no limitations on Wowza EC2, great news! and a great product