Thread: Wowza media server 3 on Amazon EC2 pricing discussion

Default Wowza media server 3 on Amazon EC2 pricing discussion

Hi, I'd like to make sure I am getting my pricing correct. Here is a hypothetical situation:

a) I need to store approximately 6TB of movies on the cloud. For that, I plan to use Amazon S3.
    b) Based on subscriber data that I have, I expect, monthly there will be a total of 200TB of data out that I expect from the S3 server to various subscribers as they stream these movies
    c) Next, I also need to host Wowza instances.

I was told that each Wowza instance, on an EC2 small config can handle approx 100 simultaneous sessions at 1Mbps each.

However, in my case, if I am already paying S3 for the bandwidth usage, do I need to worry about load with my Wowza instances as much? My assumption is the Ec2 instances running Wowza will not be streaming the actual content - S3 will. Wowza will more or less be the control side of things. Is this correct?

thx

Okay, I think I figured this out. S3 will be used for storage, but EC2 instances running Wowza will be streaming out the media to consumers, so the data out charges will be at the EC2 instances and not from S3 (We assume S3 and EC2 are in the same region, so data out charges from S3 to EC2 are 0).

Based on my dimensioning, I will need to store approx 5TB of video data on S3. That comes to approx $520 p/m on S3
    I am also trying to create a model for BW consumption. Lets say, hypothetically, I have 25,000 active users and each user watches 48 hrs of OTT videos a month. Further, lets say each user consumes 1GB of bandwidth for every hour of OTT TV he watches

Then my total outflow of BW per month from EC2 hosted wowza instances would be 25000*1024MB (per hr) * 12 = 1172 TB of BW needed per month. Which comes to a whopping $57,000 a month for bandwidth fees, plus X*55 where X = # of instances of EC2 I need to buy and 55 is the per instance fee of wowza

Questions:
    a) Do these numbers look right?
    b) I haven't accounted for HLS overhead (my preferred protocol). I have just taken raw video bandwidth. How much should that be for Wowza servers?
    c) Assuming that at any point of time, I won't have more than 200 users streaming concurrently, I assume 2 small EC2 instances are fine for Wowza?

Default Wowza media server 3 on Amazon EC2 pricing discussion

Hello, I erroneously posted my question to the media server 2 forum. Can the admins please move it here ?
    The link is http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...cing-Wowza-EC2

Also, a response to my qs would be appreciated, if possible.
    thx

Yes, a small EC2 instance should be able to handle ~100 simultaneous sessions at 1 Mbps each. When looking at bandwidth (stream bitrate * # of concurrent streams), we advise adding in a factor of 20% overhead for network capacity, so with a 1 gbs NIC would be about 800kbs throughput. You can request the load test tool to help test your setup.

-Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lisa_w View Post
    Yes, a small EC2 instance should be able to handle ~100 simultaneous sessions at 1 Mbps each. When looking at bandwidth (stream bitrate * # of concurrent streams), we advise adding in a factor of 20% overhead for network capacity, so with a 1 gbs NIC would be about 800kbs throughput. You can request the load test tool to help test your setup.

-Lisa
    Thanks Lisa. Did I get my amazon costs right ( ballpark assuming both S3 and Ec2 are in the same US region)? I will add 20%

Yes, it is $55 for a monthly subscription for the Wowza license key edition which provides access to the premium AddOns (Wowza Transcoder, nDVR and DRM). The usage charges would be per Amazon's usage rates.

-Lisa

Lisa thanks. Let me ask my question another way. This is the first time I am factoring in a cost for a VOD deployment, so I want to make sure I've covered all the dimensions. While I understand the costs depend on Amazon fees, which I can take care of, can you comment on whether I have my inputs correct:

a) Monthly storage fee on S3 for storing content (function of size of total videos)
    b) Monthly fees for # of instances of Wowza on EC2
    c) Monthly fees for # of EC2 instances to host Wowza instances
    d) Monthly bandwidth fees for EC2 instances that will stream out the video to users
    e) Monthly fees for Data transfer between S3 and EC2 (0 if in the same region)
    f) Expected cap on maximum simultaneous session BW (this will impact point b and c above)

Have I missed any other dimensions specfic to Wowza?

thanks

That list looks right. EC2 is a great way to quickly have a Wowza Server up and running with our pre-configured AMIs. It's a popular route for people who need a setup for a particular event and don't want to purchase equipment if isn't needed on an on-going basis.

-Lisa

Awesome, thanks