Wowza Community

AC3 Audio

Are there any plans for future support of AC3 decoding on the Wowza trancoder? As it stands I have to take my live streams in and transcode the audio to a compatible format before redirecting through Wowza, this is less than ideal. If you do not have plans for AC3 support is there a developer’s kit for adding that functionality ourselves?

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for your input. I’ll pass along your request to our product management team. Not sure when this support might be available. There is not currently a way to add support yourself.

-Lisa

Thank you for the details and your interest in Wowza Transcoder. This helps us better understand your workflow and I will pass this additional information on to our product management team. I still don’t have an update on when this may be available.

-Lisa

We don’t have a Wowza developed workaround or any early release build with AC3 support.

-Lisa

This is a serious difficulty in our evaluation.

Set-top boxes might be connected to “surround sound” speaker deployments (5.1, 4.1, 7.1, for examples) – and for them get the “surround sound” from the dolby digital stream (AC3), we will need either support for AC3 streams from wowza for “AC3 passthru” – or some way to transcode to at least 4 channels of AAC (if that is even possible).

This isn’t just theoretical, either – I have a stream from an hdhomerun that is handing me AC3 audio, which wowza is not accepting.

(Yes, I can transcode it with ffmpeg or vlc – but we’re trying to avoid pre-transcoding streams as much as possible.)

Help?

Thank you Lisa.

Is there any workaround that Wowza has developed, excepting using vlc or ffmpeg to “pre-transcode” the audio before Wowza gets it?

Thanks,

Hi,

Any update on this? Seems that a lot of Wowza customers are requesting to support AC3 decoding for many years. Is this a technical of political challenge?

• Joost

Hello,

Unfortunately there’s no update or addition yet. Currently the only option with AC3 is pass-through the AC3 audio stream to compatible clients.

Best,

JasonT