Thread: New and confused

Default New and confused

I'm new to streaming and desperately need some translation. I have Wowza Media Server 3 set up and functioning. (I can play sample videos on the server, requests to the server URL at port 1935 return Wowza's version, etc.)

I'm confused about the relationship between Wowza and the other products/tools shown in the tutorials; Wirecast and the Flash Media Playback from osmf.org. As already admitted, I'm ignorant about streaming media but I had the impression Wowza provided streaming and/or progressive download and video on demand. After installing Wowza and watching the tutorials now I see apparently Wirecast and Flash Media Playback are necessary to provide a stream. Is this correct? I'm really just looking for facts and definitions - which services exactly does each respective piece (wowza, wirecast and osmf.org) perform? Why are all three (if this is true) necessary? Thanks.

Hi
    Wowza doesn't do progressive download, it does direct streaming to a client.
    Video on demand (vod) files can be played through an application by adding the files to the content directory specified in the Application.xml of the application in question.

Take a look at this video on demand tutorial.
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ideo-tutorial)

The type of connection is defined in the Application.xml and this allows different devices to connect to the application,
    Flash, iOS, Silverlight and other connection types are mentioned in the tutorials because they connect to the Wowza application.

Let me know if you need anymore help

Jason
    Last edited by JasonH; 04-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Understood - no progressive download. That's not what I'm after anyway. I think maybe my question wasn't focused enough. What does Wirecast do? Why is it needed for streaming, what does it do that Wowza does not? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi
    Wowza doesn't do progressive download, it does direct streaming to a client.
    Video on demand (vod) files can be played through an application by adding the files to the content directory specified in the Application.xml of the application in question.

Take a look at this video on demand tutorial.
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ideo-tutorial)

The type of connection is defined in the Application.xml and this allows different devices to connect to the application,
    Flash, iOS, Silverlight and other connection types are mentioned in the tutorials because they connect to the Wowza application.

Let me know if you need anymore help

Jason