port - 22

c) host - public dns

username - root

pass - wowz

Can any one help with the detailed procedure to login using ftp

Hi

FTP works on port 21 not port 22 :slight_smile:

Jason

The key is active or port mode, instead of default passive (pasv) mode which you are using. And the recent AMIs use “wowza” username and instanceID as the password.

Richard

In my FTP client, Passive mode and Active or Port mode are properties of the connection that you can set along with the username and password. Search for “filezilla active mode”

Richard

Are you using a different Security Group then you did with Wowza 2? If so, that is not necessary, but then you have to open the same ports. 21 for ftp, 22 for ssh, 1935 for Wowza, and whatever else you might need.

Richard

Thanks for the update. Glad it’s working.

Richard

Clear your firewall and it will probably work. You have to open up all your UDP ports or use active mode.

Hi nkkrishna,

I’m not really familiar with EC2, but I can offer some general suggestions.

1. I recommend SFTP instead of FTP. (only needs 1 port)

2. You have: Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,128,97,37,157,57).

Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.

-Your server is responding with its local IP instead of external. This is probably configurable in the vsFTPd conf file. You need to tell it to use your external IP. I use Proftpd so in my proftpd.conf this setting is: MasqueradeAddress [external-IP-address]

1. See here for a decisive explanation of Passive vs. Active FTP: http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

2. Passive mode is usually used since it doesn’t require configuration of the client’s router.

Passive Mode Howto:

1. Configure your FTPd server conf file to use a range of passive ports, e.g. 60000-61000

2. Configure your server firewall to allow TCP in/out on that port range, or in + state related/established. (also port 21, the default ftp port)

3. If your server is behind a NAT router, forward that range of ports to your server.

4. Also, if server is behind NAT router, configure your FTPd server to use your public IP Address.

Active Mode:

1. Configure your server’s firewall to allow TCP in/out on ports 20 and 21.

2 Configure your ftp client to use Active mode. Note you will need to set your client’s external IP (in the Filezilla active settings) and BE SURE it’s correct when you’re connecting. Google “what is my IP” to check. Note: the ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php option might not work. It just returns 127.0.0.1 for me. So, you might have to set it manually each time.

1. Configure your ftp client to use a range of active ports. e.g. 61000-62000

2. Forward that range of TCP ports on your client side router to your client computer.

3. Either turn off your client computer firewall, or open that range of ports, and also be sure the ftp client application itself is allowed.

Note that instead of ACTIVE steps 2, 3 and 4 above you could just plug directly into your modem so that your computer get’s an external IP.

Also note that instead of PASSIVE steps 1 and 2, you can just clear your server’s firewall. When I mess with the firewall I set the computer to reboot after a minute, in case I get locked out. e.g. “iptables -F && shutdown -r +1 &” Then “shutdown -c” to cancel reboot, if I didn’t manage to lock myself out.

Hope this helps…

yes i tried both the ports (21 & 22). But NOT able to login, Can anyone help me.

I am getting the following message on my filezilla with the following parameters

host - public dns

username - wowza

pass - instance id

port - 21

Can you help me what needs to be done. I am NOT able to see any files/folders on filezilla

FILEZILLA :

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…

Response: 220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2)

Command: USER wowza

Response: 331 Please specify the password.

Command: PASS **********

Response: 230 Login successful.

Command: OPTS UTF8 ON

Response: 200 Always in UTF8 mode.

Command: PWD

Response: 257 “/home/wowza”

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,128,97,37,157,57).

Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.

Command: LIST

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I dont have any firewalls installed on my pc. I am directly connected to the broadband modem. I am not connected any network. I will try using different broadband connection. Can anyone please confirm the filezilla login details.

I also tried connecting through a different isp, still i have the same issue. Can anyone give me the detailed steps to access wowza EC2 using FTP

So Can you explain me clearly what should i have to do now.

I tried changing to Active mode on my filezilla, but it doesn’t work i get the following message. Can anyone please help me to solve this issue ASAP.

Status: Resolving address of ec2-122-248-232-46.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Could not connect to server

If possible can anyone give me the detailed steps. because i have been trying this for more than 2 days and its just logging into a server and i think that its not a technical issue.

I tried changing to active (port) mode but i am not able to login using ftp. I dont have any issues while logging into an Wowza ec2 version 2 , but i am NOT able to login using ftp /ssh using wowza latest version 3. If i use ssh i am getting “connection timed out”. I have a doubt, do i need to subscribe for wowza on ec2 for both the versions 2 & 3 independently. Can you help me to proceed further so that i can login using the ftp on wowza ec2 versoin 3.

I am using the same security group that i used for ec2 wowza 2, but on ec2 - wowza 3 i am having the issues. please find the screenshot below

I am able to login using the ftp/ssh on wowza ec2 version 3 with the following details

host: public - dns

username: wowza

password: instance id

port: 21

Mode: Active (PORT Mode)

Thanks it is working fine now.

Hi

This could well be a firewall blocking the connection.

If you have access to the fire wall you should be able to open port 21.

Jason