Wowza Community

Using the transcoder when recoding streams

Hi

I am currently testing wowser to stream video from a Sony security camera, and on demand recording the stream.

This works beautifully using LiveStreamRecord_3.0 to flv.

However I have been asked my solution to also support iPhones, and the G.711 audio doesn’t seem to work with LiveStreamRecord_3.0 when saving mp4 files. Looking at the website it seems the transcoder seems to be the answer as it lists G.711, but will this work with LiveStreamRecord_3.0 and allow me to save mp4 files with audio?

My test install is on MacOS, so hesitant to start from scratch in Linux without asking…:slight_smile:

Hi

Yes you can transcode a stream and record it at the same time.

You can even record the transcoded streams if you wish giving you the source recording as well as the transcoded recordings.

Jason

Hi

Yes this should work with the live stream record module. As you’ve observed, transcoding is not available on Mac OS.

After you’ve installed on Linux you should follow the Transcoder tutorial:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-and-run-wowza-transcoder-for-live-streaming

To transcode the G.711 audio to AAC you will need to ensure that in your template you have Encode/Audio/Codec

set to AAC

For example

<Audio>
	<!-- AAC, PassThru -->
	<Codec>AAC</Codec>
	<Bitrate>32000</Bitrate>
</Audio>

And since G.711 audio bit rates tend to be low, you should set the transcode audio bit rate appropriately low as well.

When recording the transcoded stream using LiveStreamRecord you just need to specify the name of the transcoded stream required. Examples for the given transrate.xml and transcode.xml templates are MyStreamName_160p MyStreamName_360p etc.

Hi

Yes you can transcode a stream and record it at the same time.

You can even record the transcoded streams if you wish giving you the source recording as well as the transcoded recordings.

Jason

Yup, it’s recording the stream WITH the transcoded audio that I am looking to do. Any pointers to where I could see info about that?

Just to add I followed this advice and it worked very well.

I was stumped initially as I couldn’t get the transcoder to work at all, it was due to the server I was testing on had only a dev licience, but when that was sorted the libraries did exactly what I needed.