Thread: Few questions for a potential VOD project

Default Few questions for a potential VOD project

I'm looking into a potentially quite extensive VOD OTT project. The idea is to have video content stored in S3, each asset in multiple layers (profiles) for SanJose and Cupertino streaming. Meaning lots of chunk files. The content would be delivered to viewers by a network of Wowza servers on EC2. My worry is whether the S3 and Wowza EC2 data connection is fast enough to support delivering these small chunks in time for the streaming? Especially if multiple Wowza servers are accessing the same files in S3.

I'm also worried about the scale of things. Let's assume the S3 content would total 3TB and there would be 50 Wowza instances running to support the expected number of peak concurrent viewers, all accessing the same S3 bucket. Would this work?

Is there any easy way to quickly scale the number of Wowza servers (and configure load-balancers) on-the-fly based on the demand?

Regards,
    Goran Tomas

Goran,

First, pre-segmented is not supported, but you don't need it.

Use MediaCache on each server:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....nd-scalability

The files on the content server will be mp4, flv or mp3 files. Wowza will packetize for each client type.

And you can use the Wowza Load Balancer to distribute client connections among your MediaCache edge servers
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ncing-solution

Richard

Hi Richard,

Can you clarify why I don't need pre-segmentation?

We would like to support adaptive streaming for this VOD project and have multiple resolution/bitrate layers for each media asset. Is this possible to do?

Regards,
    Goran Tomas

The idea is to have video content stored in S3, each asset in multiple layers (profiles) for SanJose and Cupertino streaming. Meaning lots of chunk files.
    I was referring to the description above. That won't work. You just store .mp4, .flv or .mp3 files on S3 and use MediaCache to stream those from S3, then Wowza will packetize for sanjose and cupertino. So more simple, easier than you describe. Note that chunks or segments are never written to disk, Wowza packetizes and delivers these chunks in memory.

Richard

OK, I understand.

Just to confirm, in order to support Adaptive Streaming, I need to have the same asset in 4 or 5 different MP4 files stored in S3 (each with different resolutions and bitrates), a SMIL file that describes them, MediaCache to pull the files from S3 and then Wowza does the packetizing on-the-fly?

In regards to the load balancer, can I just have one load balancer and then a pool of edge servers all talking to it, or there needs to be a hierarchy of some sorts between the edge servers?

Regards,
    Goran Tomas

Yes, that is correct. Note that each item in the set must be key frame aligned. Not all encoders are capable of doing this properly, but Expression 4 Encoder is known to work. Take a look at the suggested presets in this article as a starting place:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ideo-on-Demand

1 Load Balancer Listener is enough to handle many edge servers. The LB Listener is a light-weight role, just keeping track of edge connection counts and telling clients which edge is least loaded. It is not involved in actual streaming.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 04-17-2012 at 08:07 AM.

OK, great! Thank you for your help Richard.

Regards,
    Goran Tomas